How to know the Hen has won!

luvzmybabz

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
OK I have been trying to break a broody for the last few days I have finally given up. Too weird when we first got these chickens she was the mean one and now she lets me just pet her and talk to her and she acts like she loves it. Well I have decided to let her sit and was wondering how many eggs will fit under a RIR, also I have a 4ft x 4 ft brooder in the house I worry about the other hens and the roosters, should I bring her in to brood them, it is supposed to be fairly cold 20 and 30 for a few days at the end of the week, and I would like to keep an eye on her when they start to hatch not sure about what kind of moma she will be, I know the lady that has had her since a chick never let her sit.

I had a Buff Orpington go Broody in March of last year...set 12 under her ...too many more than that will likely get tossed from her....I always keep my broodies away from my other hens in a large dog crate in the coop...our March weather was rather cold last year but she still wanted to set....

You will find that Broody poop will stink you out of the house...lol....Broodies hold their poo and when they let go you can smell it for miles!!!!!

From the "What it's worth department":
I have set a number of hens over the years. Primarily buff orps ( they stay broody ) and some EE's. I never separate them from the flock. I'm not sure if that's right or wrong but I have never had a problem doing it.
I do mark the eggs with a pencil in case another hen lays in the nest with her. I always set my orps on 12 eggs with no problem. A RIR can easily do the same in my opinion.
I am never concerned about the safety of the chicks in the flock with a broody hen guarding them. There is nothing more ferocious than a hen guarding her chicks.

I do know that I am going to have to move her at some point she is in the upper part of the boxes I have about 3 feet from the ground. Normally how long after chicks does a hen start to lay again?

Back
Top Bottom