How to know of chicken likes you

I got 4 chooks. They are all ex-bats, one runs a lot, another 1/2 runs away, but they both eat from my hand. One is calm but flaps when I put her down. One is ultra-friendly, and doesn't run away, plus, if I can stroke her :)

Edit: They all come up to me when I walk up expecting food lmao, v dissapointed when they don't get some. Mine like kale, grains and corn, if I so much as give them carrot peel they let out some angry clucks, peck it and then walk off :lau

I occasionally (once or twice per week) get a handful of a snack my girls like (shredded cheese, seed snack mix) and just crouch down quietly for a few minutes in their run or range area and when one approaches me I let them take some of the snack from my closed hand. Once that happens they all figure it out and come running. My girls now know to expect it so every time I am within eyesight they run and pace the fence when they see me. I also sit out with them in a low chair, I'll post a picture, and I just sit and they enjoy sitting on my lap. It takes time and patience and some treats, but it works. View attachment 2466247View attachment 2466254
Cool! One of my chickens just sit on me and don’t get off

I got 4 chooks. They are all ex-bats, one runs a lot, another 1/2 runs away, but they both eat from my hand. One is calm but flaps when I put her down. One is ultra-friendly, and doesn't run away, plus, if I can stroke her :)

Edit: They all come up to me when I walk up expecting food lmao, v dissapointed when they don't get some. Mine like kale, grains and corn, if I so much as give them carrot peel they let out some angry clucks, peck it and then walk off :lau
Can you tell me some treats the chickens like? Because my chickens are very picky they only want mealworms and I have no more

A few of mine will come over and sit on my lap when I let them out to free range for a bit and sit there awhile for some pats, then they get up and go about their chicken business. My polish love pecking my shoes and sitting on my feet. My leghorn cross pecks me on the leg until I pick her up for some attention. Others just tolerate my presence. They are all individuals, though I am sure bribing with treats helps. 😊

I spend hours in the chicken run everyday. I sit down on one of the dust bath tires and go on BYC. (I happen to be out with them right now) the girls all treat me like one of them. Being at their level really helps them to trust me. Of course while I’m out there, they put their beaks to work. Chickens sure love to eat hair!
FE6DBF79-5E4C-46A8-840A-9A7345B3A090.jpeg
4D69317B-2D27-446F-B158-B554275C90DD.jpeg

Anyway, the more time I spend the more they warm up to me. Now, everyone stands on the tires with me and even stand in my lap!
B5E297C1-F16F-4791-AAF2-A6D4A29814A9.jpeg
FE0A1F06-DE32-4D32-8AF4-089AC2960930.jpeg

ive done this for a long time, and my 3 year old SS has come to trust me a lot. She’s like a little dog, never runs away, let’s me pet her, runs up to me, and talks to me. At the end of the day, I of course give everyone a small treat of scratch or mealworms!
18B4A886-5ACE-4E13-8871-1FE61D00CFEE.jpeg
It takes practice and patience but your birds will eventually warm up to you

Cool! One of my chickens just sit on me and don’t get off
I love when they do that. We have a mottled Houdan and she follows me around the yard yelling at me to sit down then when I do she lays down and goes directly to sleep. I've never sat longer than she has slept, I always have to move her off so I can go and then she follows me yelling again! 😂

I spend hours in the chicken run everyday. I sit down on one of the dust bath tires and go on BYC. (I happen to be out with them right now) the girls all treat me like one of them. Being at their level really helps them to trust me. Of course while I’m out there, they put their beaks to work. Chickens sure love to eat hair! View attachment 2467230View attachment 2467232
Anyway, the more time I spend the more they warm up to me. Now, everyone stands on the tires with me and even stand in my lap! View attachment 2467236 View attachment 2467235
ive done this for a long time, and my 3 year old SS has come to trust me a lot. She’s like a little dog, never runs away, let’s me pet her, runs up to me, and talks to me. At the end of the day, I of course give everyone a small treat of scratch or mealworms! View attachment 2467237It takes practice and patience but your birds will eventually warm up to you
The color of your EE is just stunning. Our EE loves to sit on my lap in the sun and sunbathe, it takes two hands to keep her on my lap, but it's her favorite place. I do something similar to you in that I spend a lot of time out with them and always have so they see me as maybe not a chicken, but chicken adjacent. An entity that they trust and they love to talk to. They like to call out to me as I check their run over at night before bed.

My chickens are all pretty friendly, all of them can tolerate and even enjoy being held, but only a handful will actually request attention from me. Having them trust you is super important, having food on you helps too. And hold them! Handling them gets them comfortable with you, and also helps curb aggression from hormonal roosters..

Back
Top Bottom