How to keep crows & blue jays away?

ca does have a season for crow hunting. in december . it on the states web site and yes the crow is on the fed thing. i checked they are als.o the number one carrier of the wes nile vires. i did not no that till i read that so thanks .

West nile? yucky. I've heard that wild birds can carry diseases so I really don't want them eating out of the same feeder and water dish. I have put their secondary feeder inside the coop. It has really helped with the crows. But the blue jays are another story. One landed right next to me this morning while I was feeding them their morning oatmeal in their run. The chickens were so mad they couldn't get to him. After an unsuccessful attempt at chasing him away and 3 circles around the coop, I finally threw a big dirt clod at him and he "screamed" and flew away. I just went outside and there he is again. Sitting on my wall, waiting for pm snacks. I think I might try a powerful water gun. Humane and fun ;) Hopefully the little buggers learn.

Thanks everyone!

Crows were stealing eggs, eating feed, killing chickens, nearly blinded one of my ducks.

I don't really want to kill them, although federal law says it is legal if they are destroying crops or killing your animals. So we just set up some targets and sighted in the .22 every time the crows appeared. They got a message after a couple of days and stopped coming around.

They swing by to check about once a week and I point my arm at them like it is a rifle and they take off.

I've never known it was illegal to shoot crows. They actually have a "crow hunting season" in KY?

page 70 in the TP&W Outdoor Annual under section Endangered, Threatened, And Other Protected Nongame Species, subsection Unprotected Birds.
" .... crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees,agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."

also - http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/crows/index.html

Lethal means of control, such as shooting, are one of the options available to growers or homeowners.
  • The hunting season in Minnesota is 3/1 – 3/31 and 7/15 – 10/15 each year. These are opportune times to reduce local resident population levels.
  • These birds are difficult to hunt due to their wariness; however, electronic calls or sounds and decoys can be utilized when hunting. Great horned owl calls are very effective in luring crows within shooting range, as these avian predators will cause crows to mob the area from which the sound is being emitted. Owl decoys may also be used in conjunction with the calls to induce this mobbing behavior, thereby increasing hunter success.
  • No license is required to hunt crows. They may be taken by legal firearms (shotgun not larger than 10 gauge, rifle, or handgun), bow and arrow or by falconry. There are no daily or possession limits, and shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset. Odd as it may sound, crow recipes can be found by simply undergoing an internet search.
Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.
Lethal means of control can also be undertaken when they are concentrated in large numbers, such as communal roosts, and subsequently constitute a nuisance (e.g. noise) or pose a threat to human health, as would be the case when accumulations of fecal materials pose a sanitation risk. Legal methods of take are the same as during hunting seasons. Crows cannot be taken outside of the damage area.

All this talk of guns and pan banging is fascinating but my problem needs a solution that I can put into effect without a guard during every daylight hour. I built a lovely coop for the girls and their run is bigger than my first apt. Now all I need is a way to keep the bleeping blue jays out! The girls go in, lay their egg, come out, a blue jay goes in, pecks a hole in the shell, eats some of the egg and leaves. If I am not there standing guard the blue jays will do it all day, over and over until there are 6 eggs with peck holes in them. I now keep the large side door closed and only the coop door at the top of their ramp is open. I blue jays fly past the hardware cloth gate that is only open 1 foot and up through the coop door that is only 15 inches by 10 inches. I am so far past frustrated
barnie.gif

I understand your frustration. I've considered poisoning them but they haven't been that bad since I borrowed my boyfriend's little brother's bb gun. The gun doesn't kill them but its enough to make them "scream" and fly away.

Did you ever solve the Blue Jay problem?
I have a family of Jays breaking 4 to 6 eggs a day, and I collect eggs all day long.

Any ideas would help.
Thanks,
Dan

I realize this is an old thread, but if this is such a big problem have any of you considered covering your pen? Neither crows, jays or hawks can get thru chicken wire. Some smaller birds, like robins and sparrows can, but they are not going to kill you chickens or eat eggs. It might be pricey, but it would be effective.

Back
Top Bottom