How to Grow a Blueberry Bush

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
and other berry bushes!!

It occurred to me today that blueberries must be easy to propagate by seed, at least the the wild varieties, as I see tons of baby seedling at my mothers summer camp and I realized I dont need to buy more blue berries but I need a method of propagating new ones!!! Then my thinking stretched to other berry bushes like jostaberry or gooseberry . . .

Has anyone tried propogating these, or have some insight???

edited-- eventually editting will not be possible so my goal it to put useful links here and then at every 100 posts as possible.

http://www.almanac.com/plant/blackberries

Last edited:
and other berry bushes!!

It occurred to me today that blueberries must be easy to propagate by seed, at least the the wild varieties, as I see tons of baby seedling at my mothers summer camp and I realized I dont need to buy more blue berries but I need a method of propagating new ones!!! Then my thinking stretched to other berry bushes like jostaberry or gooseberry . . .

Has anyone tried propogating these, or have some insight???
You can with some rooting hormone. I am working on some thorn less blackberries and I will be planting some raspberry seeds in a day or two. I went on ebay and ordered some other fruit cuttings to root also. I want some blueberries bad! I have asked my daughter for three years to send me some cuttings, she keeps forgetting. lol

I may try that... rooting my blueberries. Not because i need more plants, but just to see if i can do it.
It's easy.
big_smile.png

Wait !!!!! What is easy??????

Do I take a 8 inch clipping of blueberry and dip the cut end immediately i root tone and tuck into sterile potting material???

I did take a bunch of thodie cuttings from my mothers today-- like 3 plastic grocerybags stuffed as I was pruning her wild hedge . . . . and thought I would drip those in root tone-- or is that asking too much of rhodies??

Wait !!!!! What is easy??????

Do I take a 8 inch clipping of blueberry and dip the cut end immediately i root tone and tuck into sterile potting material???

I did take a bunch of thodie cuttings from my mothers today-- like 3 plastic grocerybags stuffed as I was pruning her wild hedge . . . . and thought I would drip those in root tone-- or is that asking too much of rhodies??
Nearly every plant will root even in just potting soil. I have even done them with out rooting hormone, just kept them damp. I just wet the end with water and dip it in the powder and make a hole with my finger to set it in and lightly pack the dirt around it try not to knock the powder off the end. Keep damp. If you have pieces with leaves just cut a leaf or two in half and leave one or two leaves it helps keep the sap flowing so it will root faster.

Last edited:
If your blueberries are anything like ours, they tend to prefer slightly acidic soil. So plant them in a place where pines grow. I don't have any experience with the bush variety though, here they just grow naturally in every forest.

If your blueberries are anything like ours, they tend to prefer slightly acidic soil. So plant them in a place where pines grow. I don't have any experience with the bush variety though, here they just grow naturally in every forest.
Thank you. I will have to grow them in containers here as we have heavy clay soil but I will add peat moss and mulch with pine bark mulch.

Back
Top Bottom