How To Get Chickens To Stop Pecking Another Chicken?

That is so weird that your Americauna is picked on by the buffs, I have the same problem!!! I have 4 buffs and one Blind Americauna. I think they realized she was blind and that made her different so they picked on her. Of course she, Bella, is our favorite and we just can't get rid of her so we separated her into a pen inside the coop and cut another hole for her to get in/out on the other side of it. We don't free range, only once in a while when we are outside so we also had to fence in another area outside for her. Oh the sacrafice for a special chicken:)

I have a similiar problem with 12 chickens they peck each others feathers off while roosting. Unless some one has a different idea with a large group I will try the vic's rub. My only concern is putting it on their skin since several chickens have had most of their back feathers pecked off.

You might try just putting it on the nearby feathers (I agree, I don't like to get it on their skin, especially if it's raw).

I think more than anything it's the smell that's off-putting.

You may actually need to go all the way to pinless peepers, though, if it's gone that far. For me the Vicks stopped the violent pecking, but it didn't stopped the bored picking. Subtle difference. One's a pecking order issue that seems to be fixable simply by making everybody smell the same, the other's a bad habit.

Sorry for the delayed response, I will be appling the vic's today and will be keeping a close eye on them. I will let you know the end result.

Regarding Vicks. It is a great healing ointment because of all the natural compounds. Do not be afraid to apply the chick's skin, it will help it heal faster as well and prevent future pecking. I use it on myself for scraps and scratches. I've used it on my dog for sores. So I know it heals. Tip: it also is great to put on a tick that is embedded on yourself or your animals.

I have 2 hens sneezing... They're appetites are normal but I'm just wondering if it's from the coop or what ? I've got 1 hen making a weird chick noise on the roost... It's a subtle high pitched chick noise but it's not loud at all kinda quite like she's in pain or something... I'm new to chickens so don't make fun of me ...;-) I just noticed the one making that weird noise when they got on the roost tonight...

Thanks for this information about the Vicks. I am getting two new hens to add to two other hens I have and I am really worried about the potential peck off!

I have 2 hens sneezing... They're appetites are normal but I'm just wondering if it's from the coop or what ? I've got 1 hen making a weird chick noise on the roost... It's a subtle high pitched chick noise but it's not loud at all kinda quite like she's in pain or something... I'm new to chickens so don't make fun of me ...;-) I just noticed the one making that weird noise when they got on the roost tonight...

Separate them out asap if you haven't already.....

Back
Top Bottom