How to free-range guinea keets

Mo_fawaazzz

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
My 2 keets are almost 6 weeks old, and I plan to free range them with the rest of my birds.

I have some rhode Island red pullets and a few turkeys and ducks that all free range and now return to their coop at evening.
It took a while for the turkeys to get used to this, but now they are the first birds to go back into the coop at evening.

The issue is that my guinea keets are tiny while the rest of my flock are larger birds. I want my guineafowl to mingle with the rest of my flock and perhaps return to their coop with them.

A long time ago, I let out a 3-day old guinea and I witnessed how fast they run..

I cannot let these guys roost in trees until they are older, so I want them to return to their coop with the chickens. Has anybody here had experience with raising guineafowl alongside chickens? Will the keets run/fly away and never return?

I want my little guineas to be almost adult size before letting them free range. Around 3 months old. Your young guineas are too small right now and at this stage in their life they are afraid of everything. They need to be broken in to free ranging gradually.

I would recommend going to the articles section and reading the raising young guineas (6 weeks to 3 months) article. :old

Back
Top Bottom