HOW TO FEED YOUR CHICKENS if there is no scratch or pellets?

What happens if you double or triple the fish?

It takes a lot of energy to dry food, the fat in the fish would make that more so. It might be more cost effective to use a higher percentage of fish if it gives more margin without getting too far out of the other target windows. Especially since there is a pretty wide range of unknowns in both the fish and the grains. It might make a problem with fat - taking some of the fat out of the fish is one of the easier nutrient profile changes to make.

That doesn't solve your storage problem. Are you sure drying the fish will solve it - (fat going rancid part of it)? And/or is refrigeration or freezing an option?

I don't know the answers; only some of the questions, maybe.

Edit to correct spelling.

Last edited:
Keanu

Attachments

• 2BBDBAF7-34D2-45F3-8ACC-62ACF4B1B9D4.jpeg
    2BBDBAF7-34D2-45F3-8ACC-62ACF4B1B9D4.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2
What happens if you double or triple the fish?

It takes a lot of energy to dry food, the fat in the fish would make that more so. It might be more cost effective to use a higher percentage of fish if it gives more margin without getting to far out of the other target windows. Especially since there is a pretty wide range of unknowns in both the fish and the grains. It might make a problem with fat - taking some of the fat out of the fish is one of the easier nutrient profile changes to make.

That doesn't solve your storage problem. Are you sure drying the fish will solve it - (fat going rancid part of it)? And/or is refrigeration or freezing an option?

I don't know the answers; only some of the questions, maybe.
FIsh "meal" (basically, ground up fish scraps) is very low fiber, so increasing the % of fish in the recipe improves that number. Compared to the other ingredients, its low fat, so again, invreasing the fish meal improves that number. Because its an animal protein source, not a plant protein source, its amino acid profile is very good for meeting a chicken's needs.

Now, the amount of bone material present in the scraps becoming meal is a concern for calcium - it only takes one head to make a huge difference in calcium content - which is potentially problematic for roos and all birds prior to point of lay. There is also the matter of expense - pound per pound, its much more expensive than, say, corn...
Finally, there is the matter of flavor. Some claim that too much fish meal affects the flavor of the eggs. J Rhodes recipe uses 10% w/o known complaint. OP's recipe used 3/20, or 15% fish meal. This book by Blair claims that occurs at "high levels" (p144) but doesn't specify what those levels are. Earlier in the page are references to studies at 2.5% and 5%.

I believe, and I'm going to flag him so I don't misquote, but I believe @Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay says the industry recommendation for fish meal is not to exceed 5%. But I could be misremembering, and hope he corrects me.

FInally, the best way to cook the fish before grinding is by steaming it - high temp preparations - such as baking a 350 degrees - result in the development of unwanted chemicals which negatively affect your chickens

Cool! We don't have a ton of space ufortunetly, but I cold always create a garden bed within the coop if we needed more space. I could probably easily find locations to add other raised beds as well. Probably a good idea now that I'm thinking about it.
I want to plant as much as possible. Maybe grow corn, though I don't think that has a ton of nutritional value. Probably way more fresh than dried corn though.
What about soy beans? They are a pretty complete protein source. I try to avoid them in chicken feed due to commercial spraying, but it could probably be beneficial if it was grown from organic seeds.
have you considered Mung beans. I just planted some and they ALL came up , so perhaps they are easy to grow. my understanding is that they are and excellent source of protein.

have you considered Mung beans. I just planted some and they ALL came up , so perhaps they are easy to grow. my understanding is that they are and excellent source of protein.
Interesting, I'll look into that.
So far, my oats and field peas are coming up, but I think all my other seeds either got killed by the birds, or the cold spike we just had.
Replanted-

Sorghum
Millet
Soy Beans
Field Peas and Oats mix
Hairy Vetch

Then Field Peas and Oats, Spinach, and Black Oil Sunflowers are coming up. :)

Compared to the other ingredients, its low fat, so again, invreasing the fish meal improves that number
Now I'm a bit confused. According to the sources I could find, fish meal has almost double the fat of the other ingredients, and that's "commercial" fish meal. I'd imagine
taking some of the fat out of the fish is one of the easier nutrient profile changes to make.
I had considered this, but I'm not sure how much big equipment I can dedicate to this, but...
FInally, the best way to cook the fish before grinding is by steaming it - high temp preparations - such as baking a 350 degrees - result in the development of unwanted chemicals which negatively affect your chickens

...I may have to try this anyway. I tried grinding a small batch raw about a month ago. It was a major pain. The vertebrae kept clogging the grinder plate.

Another way to lower the cost even more may be to replace some of the corn with old bread. A lot of variation there, too, but again, it probably averages out.
Some claim that too much fish meal affects the flavor of the eggs
I like fish a lot, but that could be weird in the eggs. If logistically and nutritionally this all works, I might not make too large a batch at first, just in case.

Now I'm a bit confused. According to the sources I could find, fish meal has almost double the fat..

I had considered this, but I'm not sure how much big equipment I can dedicate to this, but...
I can't help with the first part above but, for the second part, if it is high in fat - fat floats. If you aren't trying to get all the fat out, it shouldn't take expensive equipment to do enough for a backyard sized flock. If it doesn't drip out, a dunk in water might do it, then feed the liquids too.

I can't help with the first part above but, for the second part, if it is high in fat - fat floats. If you aren't trying to get all the fat out, it shouldn't take expensive equipment to do enough for a backyard sized flock. If it doesn't drip out, a dunk in water might do it, then feed the liquids too.
Yeah, but that makes drying it out for storage even more difficult. It may be the best option, though. In the summer hopefully I'll have the time to try all these options, see what works out to be the most effective method.
Another downside is I'll no longer have a ballpark estimate for the amount of fat that ends up in the feed, but that may be okay.

Last edited:
Now I'm a bit confused. According to the sources I could find, fish meal has almost double the fat of the other ingredients, and that's "commercial" fish meal.

Depends. Fish meal is subject to WIDE variations. I used the numbers from Fertrell's Fish Meal, and their published nutrition tables. Making your own, it will depend on both the fish used (white fish are lower fat than salmon, anchovies, and other oily fish) and the quality of your scrap - lots of bone means higher calcium, lower fat... To some extent, it will depend upon the means of processing, too.

Back
Top Bottom