How to electrify the top of a wooden fence to deter raccoons?

thercman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 24, 2012
Spokane WA
I understand how an electric fence works. The animal touches the (hot) wire while standing on the ground and the current flows through. So how can I do this to the top edge of a 6' wooden fence to deter raccoons? I was thinking of running two wires. The ground wire stapled to the top edge of the fence. Then run the hot wire about 6" higher. The raccoons will need to stand on the top edge while climbing over and hit the other wire thereby completing the circuit. Will this work?

If they are climbing up the fence to get up and over it, than just put it about 1' off the ground (I'd do 2 rows because they are so persistent). That will keep them off the fence to begin with. If they'
are climbing up a tree or up the side of the coop to get in than that won't work.

The second wire might not be necessary. I believe that the critter just touching one wire will get jolted.

The reason for 2 wires is to deter different types of predators. If you place a wire 6" off the ground, the wire deters critters trying to dig underneath. The wire at the top deters climbers. Racoons are smart, and will do both activities!

If you go to a farm store, they'll be able to explain what would work best in your situation.

One part of my dilemma is that I live in a residential area. So putting the wire along the ground where people (kids) can easily touch it is probably not a good idea. Since the fence is a non see through design I figured across the top would be best. I will try to find someplace that can help me out later today. I have also seen a post using those Duke's Dog Proof traps. There is a Cabelas close buy that stocks them so I will try those also...

Back
Top Bottom