How to deworm with Safeguard dewormer suspension 10%?

FarmLife1321

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2021
I have a hen who is currently being kept in the house that I suspect has gapeworm. She's mouth breathing and stretching her head out for air, shaking her head from side to side a lot, and coughing occasionally. No rattling or gurgling sounds. I give her 1/2cc of Safeguard down the throat a few minutes ago but I don't know how many days you continue to do this. So my question is how many days in a row do you give 1/2cc of Safeguard down the throat?

Also, I suspect I have other worms in my flock and not just gapeworm. I have some hens that have pale combs and wattles and haven't laid in quiet a while. I know they usually don't lay good in winter but this started in the later months of summer (Some of my hens are almost 2 years old and others are almost 1 year old.) I plan on going ahead and worming the whole flock including my ducks and guineas since Gapeworm is spreadable and because I suspect other worms as well. Can you worm guinea fowl with Safeguard? And what is the dosage? (I will be giving the Safeguard to my flock in their water.)

Last edited:
The 10% SafeGuard dose is given at 0.23ml per pound, once a day, for five days straight, orally - unless your hen is around two pounds you're underdosing.

Gapeworms aren't particularly common in chickens, there are several other conditions that could possibly be the culprit, respiratory disease, tracheal obstruction due to foreign matter, pneumonia, or fungal spores are possible. If you post a video of your hen wheezing, as well as any additional details on her symptoms that could help in determining her problem.

Can you worm guinea fowl with Safeguard?
yes
And what is the dosage?
it's what @Isaac 0 said above.
(I will be giving the Safeguard to my flock in their water.)
It's not water-soluble. If you don't want to catch all of them, try putting it in a mash instead.

Directions:
Approximate weight of the flock in pounds divide by 2.2, times 50, divide by 100 = the number of ml you need each day.

For example, if you have 20 birds in your flock and they weigh about 5 pounds each, that's 20 x 5 = 100 pounds.
100 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 22.7 ml per day.
Mix that in two cups of water, stir well.
In a separate large bucket, prepare enough mash for the entire flock. Once good and mushy, add your medicated water and stir very well.

Do this for five consecutive days.

The 10% SafeGuard dose is given at 0.23ml per pound, once a day, for five days straight, orally - unless your hen is around two pounds you're underdosing.

Gapeworms aren't particularly common in chickens, there are several other conditions that could possibly be the culprit, respiratory disease, tracheal obstruction due to foreign matter, pneumonia, or fungal spores are possible. If you post a video of your hen wheezing, as well as any additional details on her symptoms that could help in determining her problem.
Its hard to catch her coughing--I've tried many times but with no luck yet. She coughs but then when you get your phone out and video her she won't do it again. She doesn't cough that much and I will up her dosage as she is close to 5lbs.

Chickens with gapeworm dont eat nor drink. They are too busy trying to breathe and not suffocate to death.
Hmm...she is eating and drinking but she shakes her head from side to side like crazy when she eats and she drinks a lot of water when she is eating. She shakes her head when drinking water too. She also does have to stop eating and starts breathing out of her mouth or gasping for minute or two. And one more thing, after she drinks a lot of water and then starts eating, sometimes a little bit of food and water comes back up. Is this normal?

Last edited:
yes

it's what @Isaac 0 said above.

It's not water-soluble. If you don't want to catch all of them, try putting it in a mash instead.

Directions:
Approximate weight of the flock in pounds divide by 2.2, times 50, divide by 100 = the number of ml you need each day.

For example, if you have 20 birds in your flock and they weigh about 5 pounds each, that's 20 x 5 = 100 pounds.
100 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 22.7 ml per day.
Mix that in two cups of water, stir well.
In a separate large bucket, prepare enough mash for the entire flock. Once good and mushy, add your medicated water and stir very well.

Do this for five consecutive days.
Oh ok! I didn't know that! On almost every thread I read the other night, people were putting it in their chickens water so thank you for telling me that it is not water-soluble!

Are you familiar with respiratory diseases?
Not really. I have been reading about respiratory issues but my hens symptoms sound more like gapeworm to me. I will try to upload a video of some of the things she is doing in minute.

Back
Top Bottom