How to clean the chicken run

madisonjh95

Chirping
May 31, 2018
Canyon, TX
4FA50E18-9A5F-46E8-884C-69CC7BCE6F7C.jpeg
Our chickens live in his coop (pictured) most of the week. We have dogs so the chickens usually only get free run of the yard when we’re home during the weekend. But the run has started to smell awful, I can’t even stand it. We keep the coop and nesting box very clean but how do you clean the run? How have you been able to keep it clean?

You are in Texas, so there is likely grass clippings available from your yard, or someone else. I would layer a 4 inch deep ground covering into run. The chicken gumdrops would get mixed into grass clippings and smell would be MINIMAL....
You would in fact be creating a Deep Litter Method, or just enough mulch/grass clipping environment. (some call this Deep Layer:idunno) DLM does not create fiercely unpleasant odors if done correctly.
I have a large run area, and place ALL my grass clippings in there. The ground stays clean looking and the gumdrops get scratched into the grass clippings by the chickens themselves. It also keeps the ground from getting muddy during rain.
Just wanted to add this lil note. Feed that is higher in protein than what the chickens utilize in their digestion sometimes tends to create runny, possibly more smelly droppings.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

To prevent odors in a run, make sure the run is the higher than the surrounding area so water runs off. Cavemanrich is spot on with adding grass clippings and having a deep litter method. Grass clippings have seeds weeds and other things chickens love to eat and attract bugs. I also use leaves in the fall and straw from time to time when I can manage to barter for some. The only time I had run with odor issues was when I had a run with low section that lead to standing water. Now all my runs are on raised ground. I only clean them out when I need to start a new compost pile which is every 6 months.

As far as cleaning that run... lol, I spent the morning under my deck with a large feed scoop and tubs crawling through about 5 years of compressed straw, leaves, grass clippings and chicken Doo Doo. To be honest it wasn't that bad because its been months since I had a lot of chickens under there... the past month there has just been a mama hen and her brood so almost no fresh doo doos... Sometimes having chickens means getting down and dirty... a bathtub/shower, washing machine and dryer can solve the mess afterwards.

Dry leaves or grass clippings work well. I usually add dry leaves about once a week. I also have pine trees and add dried needles as well. After we mow, I let the grass clippings dry out then scoop them up and add that too. It controls the smell and I don't have to "clean" it all that much, other than cleaning poop off the wooden roost or ladder. When I was gardening, I would throw some extra or displaced soil in their run as well. They scratch and break up all the leaves, grass, and pine needles, and next spring I can dig some out and use itnas compost.

I am in Texas also, bigger is better that's the motto but we can't always go bigger. I put most anything I can get my hands on in there old mulch grass clippings and once a year I turn the soil over.

I was just informed about this stuff litter life it is on Amazon it is an agricultural spray to kill bacteria that is what the smell is from.

If nothing else grab a 4.00 bag of hamster bedding pine shaving stuff to get you started. It needs a balance of good vs bad bacteria and it will keep your ladies happier and healthier also.

Good luck

Add grass clipppings and leaves I the run for the chickens to scratch in.
On a separate note you should put hardware clothe over the chicken wire. Those holes are big enough for a predator to grab a chunk of s chicken.

Grass clippings, leaves (in my opinion, it's best to run them over with the lawn mower first so they won't mat down when they get wet), and pine shavings from the coop will make a great start to your deep litter. It will keep the smell to a minimum, even when it gets wet from rain. You'll want a mix of different size materials. It will slowly break down, with help from the chicken poo, and make a wonderful compost for your garden.

Back
Top Bottom