How to clean dried, hardened chicken poop from OSB board

SeramaLife

Drowning in Seramas
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
North Central WA
It can't be power washed. It has to be as clean as a house floor, no matter how long it takes. Made a little oopsie
hide.gif

Mop with SCREAMING HOT water, dishwasher detergent and a little chlorox. Let it soak in... then I use the back side of a brush with a handle to loosen it.

Last edited:
Your choice of OSB as a droppings board was not a good choice if you wanted it to be so clean, the more water you use the more damage will be done and severe swelling and bubbling will acure. I wish you luck.

AL

Once you clean your OSB, you might want to cover it with something like vinyl tile, sheet metal or some other material that will make clean up easer. Like everyone has said, the more water on the OSB, the shorter the life of the material.

Step 1: detach OSB board from whatever it's affixed to in the coop.

Step 2: remove it from the coop.

Step 3: reinstall a more appropriate droppings board, I recommend something vinyl- or plastic-covered or at *least* good well-sanded-and-sealed plywood.

Step 4: use the OSB piece for some other, outdoor purpose, like a windbreak for a chicken tractor in a breezy location or some such.

Honest
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have been known to run the 2x4 roosts thru a planner.

At 1/16" a pass I figure about a year before I'm down to a 1x4

David

Quote:
I like to use a product called Hardi Plank, it is a concrete composite material made to look like wood it is what you see on alot of new construction homes. It is indestruckable and needs no maintenance. the cost is cheaper than plywood and comes in all kinds of different sizes. you can buy it at any lumber or DIY store.

AL
Building Contractor

Cheapest thing would be a scrap of vinyl flooring or other smooth plasticky material on top of a plywood scrap of suitable size, or a coupla something-by-8's-or-10's.

If you want to walk into a big box store and ask for something, I've had good luck with the cheap melamine-covered shelving material, in the widest width (I forget whether it's 14" or 16"). It does need a little shoring up if you are using a long length as it does not have great structural strength. But it's cheap and very cleanable.

The other suggestions given in previous posts sound good to me too. Really, just find something smooth and easily cleanable, with no dangerously sharp edges, that won't disintegrate when being cleaned, and there ya go
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom