How much $$$ for these Silkie chicks?

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
I have some 7 and 9 week old Silkie chicks that I need to sell because of lack of space. I have 15 and will keep four and sell eleven. I have never sold Silkies before and don't know how to price them.

They all have correct toes and combs and no faults that I'm aware of. I was thinking maybe 10 dollars each. What do you think?

Here are two of the 9 week olds:

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

Gosh I don't have a clue really.I have only had a few good quaility looking silkie's since I have been doing bird's in 6 year's.But I don't breed for show either so...I Have 2 fair looking hen's now and 4 crazy roo's lol.And one Showgirl hen.Those are nice looking bird's.I have to say the first white silkie's I got were from Mc Murray and they were good looking bird's.Maybe someone else here can give you a price range for the better quaility silkie's.I don't even have a roo for my Cinder she is a beautiful small hen so I am thinking pairing her for now with a black frizzle roo.I won't let any of the 4 silkie roo's breed her.Hope someone can help you with pricing.

Quote:
There are a couple that I *think* are cockerels and a couple that I *think* are pullets. It's too soon to tell the rest.
hmm.png

I wouldn't go under $10 to sell them. Check your local craigslist and see what people are charging there. Often times they will have pics, I've seen junk hatchery birds go for $10 around here at about that age. You may even be able to pull $25 out of them, if you are pretty sure about sexes, and depending on what the action is like in your area. If you're really not sure and there's nothing on craigslist, start them out at $15. Worst case scenario is someone may offer a couple dollars less.

Those are really nice I would "start" at 15$ I bet you could get 20$ each because they are very beautiful, clean and healthy looking-Id sell cheaper though if someone wanted all of them-which thats how I sell mine in groups-its easier for me to sell all in one group one big sale-done:) IMO so for 11 sold together Id go 140$+

Last edited:
$15-25 For birds this nice is average here. If you can pair them up Male/female I think you could get $35 a pair easily.

The quality of the bird certainly factors into the price if you are an experienced breeder or want to show them. Many people, however, only want them as pampered pets and the technicals are not as important to them. Considering that other household pets cost hundreds of dollars (dogs, parrots, purebreed cats, etc.) a pricetag of $25 for something this 'exotic' is a bargain. So it really depends on your buyer and what they want the bird for. I would not hesitate to list them at $25 each or $35 per pair. If a breeder wants them, then make them a deal for multiples. Good luck in finding GOOD homes for these beauties.

Back
Top Bottom