How much do cats eat in one day/one month?

Fawkes

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2011
Of high quality dry cat food, how much do cats eat on average? For example: for one cat 1/2 a cup a day/10 lbs a month.

I know this depends how big and active the cat is but I just need a general idea. I want to order enough wet and dry food online to last maybe 3 months but I'm not sure how much I need.

we have two cats, feed purina one urinary tract health food, they get a cup a day total. On rare occasions (maybe once a week) they will ask for more so I will give them a half a cup more, most mornings however there is still a bit of food left when I put out the new cup of food. Ours rarely get canned, just because they don't like it, if I put one spoon full of canned out the two of them will only eat half of it.

I have an indoor/outdoor tom and he is the longest/flatest cat lol....he gets half a can of wet x2 a day. As much dry as he wants I don't know how much. His grandma is semi wild and an outdoor cat and I give her free choice dry too but she gets no wet typically.

A bag of food I get is just special kitty at walmart last them a month or 2. I really don't know. I am sure it is not a good quality either.

Hope this helps.

When mine and my sisters cats (2 of them)ate Purina Urinary Track they ate almost a cup a day each. Now that they are eating Taste of the Wild they get half a cup each a day. About the same happened with my other sisters two cats. My parents cat, however, doesn't eat much less than she did before. I would reccomend you buy one large bag and figure out how much your cats eat of that particular food.

Good luck!

P.S. the four first cats are in the 13-16lb range, while my parents cat is 5-7lb.

Last edited:
It depends on the individual cat and the food, but 1/2 cup per day for a 10-12lb cat is probably about average.

I have one cat who has urinary issues and must be on a prescription diet. He is a little underweight at 9-10lbs, although it's mostly old man muscle wasting. He gets a heaping 1/4 cup twice a day. When we were getting his food in the 5lb bags (? the prescription diets come in strange sizes), one bag lasted about two months. Because of the way food prices have increased it is now much much much more economical to buy the big 13lb bag instead of the smaller bag and that seems to last us about 3 1/2 months.

My other two are fatties at 14lbs and 16lbs and get science diet light, a scant 1/4 cup twice a day. I can get special pricing through work, but it means I have to get a 20lb bag. So far we haven't used the whole bag, but I'm guessing it's going to last those two about 3 months. Before we switched, they had been on Felidae Platinum (also a scant 1/4 cup twice a day) and the two of them went through the smaller (I think 8lb) bag in a month.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Yeah, Im thinking maybe 5 lbs of high quality food per cat per month.
hmm.png
Maybe a bit less than that because I want half their diet to be canned food (I'd feed just canned but I have 10 cats so that would be a bit too expensive).

Back
Top Bottom