How many roosters are too many?

valper

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
Småland, Sweden
I have a flock of 12 laying hens and 5 pullets, 1 mature rooster and 4 cockerels.
The young ones are 20 weeks old and should soon start reaching maturity. I would like to keep all of the roosters since they free range most of the time but due to local ordinances, all chickens must be held indoors for some time. I worry that when kept in their coop and run they'll begin fighting as they approach maturity. As it is now, my main rooster is taking manic laps trying to get all the girls. Would his impulses ease up a little with more roosters around or could it escalate?

In your experiences, what is a good ratio of roosters to hens that works? I'd hate to have to "get rid" of any of them but I want my flock to be as happy as possible.

There is no hard ratio for males to females. That 1:10 people swear is the minimum is meant for breeders to get the most fertile eggs possible.

I've done well with anything from 1:1 to 1:15. It all depends on the male's temperament. Some will never shred their one partner's back, some will shred all 2 dozen backs.

Most males will increase the head male's breeding though. They don't share like people do, they are determined that their genetics will pass on, not the others

To keep 5 roosters - I would want a flock of 50-75.

I would only keep one rooster with the number of chickens you have. At the very most 2, the old one, and a young one.

I would not recommend keeping two of the young ones.

Roosters all work out fine, until they don't, and then they can be a mess. DO have a way to separate roosters immediately set up and ready to do so asap.

Do know that how they are acting now, may not have any resemblance to how they act tomorrow or next week.

Mrs K

Agree with @Mrs. K - reduce those numbers. The fact that you have a head rooster and older hens is a good thing. It will keep the younger males in check (usually) so they mature with some manners.

in my experience, that flock size is going to have some problems with 2 mature males. Space helps, but one rooster will fight to be in top spot. Sometimes the head rooster has tolerance for the other rooster, other times not at all, so lots of fighting/chasing, and possible over mating as head roo shows the other roo that he is boss snd WILL mate with the girls.

we had a male chick grow up in a mixed age flock with a head rooster. That chick decided around 16 weeks old that his goal was to be top rooster. Within 3 days he had usurped top spot - head male - at 16 weeks (or so) old from a year old male!!! We did not want that one as head rooster, and so separated him into a separate pen with 2 females for company. We were glad we had a place to put him!

Back
Top Bottom