How many quail ?

I had 4 coturnix plus one cock, and they layed pretty regularly. My guess is you should probably have around 10 quail. If each one lays an egg per day, minus one day of the week for 6 days (I always give them a day off), then you would get 2 chicken eggs per day (at 5 quail eggs per chicken egg), and one dozen eggs a week. If you want to use them for the same purposes as chicken eggs, be aware that there is a higher percentage of yolk to egg than a chicken egg would provide.

Sounds like a sound process! Mine are over a year now, and since the darker nights are producing many less eggs, despite having extra light provided. I think I'd miss some of them if I culled them!

The one remaining (other were stolen by raccoons
somad.gif
) is 3 years old. She doesn't lay anymore, but I think that is more loneliness and trauma than age. Though all of them slowed down laying after about 2 1/2 years. I have a lot of trouble culling, too.

That's a good system Mikedero. I'm getting some new pens for a Christmas present, so I think I'll start marking them. Maybe feet tags.
Mikee, sorry to hear about your raccoon . We don't have them in the UK, so I really don't know much about them. But now I know they eat quail I'm not keen on them. Do you think you'll get any more quail? Our biggest problem is rats and cats in the UK. The rats just love them and we have to put our cages on legs if they are outside to avoid the problem. Your final quail is doing well though, living to 3 years. That's pretty old in quail years! I think if we enjoyed culling, then that would be a problem!

Back
Top Bottom