how many hens and 1 roo keep up with?

stephaniev

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
I have 9 hens and 1 dominique roo, can he keep up with the hens and fertile all eggs?
Also one more question 5 of my hens are RIR, 1 dominique, 1red sex link, and 2 mix hens, what mixes would I end up with, I'm will not sell the chicks they will be next years flock, will the chicks grow to be good layers? I've heard mixed hens lay really well.

Dominique to Dominique = Dominique
Dominique to Sex Link = Funky Chicken
Dominique to RIR = Colorful Funky Chicken

Knowledge and humor in the same post is an all time record for me. If I do say so myself.
gig.gif

I have 9 hens and 1 dominique roo, can he keep up with the hens and fertile all eggs?
Also one more question 5 of my hens are RIR, 1 dominique, 1red sex link, and 2 mix hens, what mixes would I end up with, I'm will not sell the chicks they will be next years flock, will the chicks grow to be good layers? I've heard mixed hens lay really well.
First of all let me congratulate you for choosing some chickens from the best overall dual purpose breed, the American Dominique. Of course, I am prejudiced........
cool.png

A good active Dominique rooster can cover 9 hens, though the most I would put him with would be about 8. That way you are sure that all the hens have a good chance of being fertilized.
Remember, that red sex links aren't pure bred chickens, so a cross with a Dom will get some interesting color results. However, all of the breeds you mentioned are good layers, so so should get some good laying hens out of the mixes. All should be brown egg layers. And the cockerels will be excellent eating!

Ok awsome, I'm very exicited to see what colors ill get when my eggs hatch! I know most will be yellow for awhile

but its also bad for the rooster for over mating and if you have 1 rooster and 12 hens they wont get over mated if you have a bunch of rooster and 12 hens they will get over mated and their feathers and back will get tore up

but its also bad for the rooster for over mating and if you have 1 rooster and 12 hens they wont get over mated if you have a bunch of rooster and 12 hens they will get over mated and their feathers and back will get tore up 

3 of my RIR hens don't have fearthers in on there back but I bought them the lady like that, she told me to put some spray on it and the feathers will grow back, NOT!

Back
Top Bottom