How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Got another six eggs this morning.

I calculated that my chickens have laid eggs at 80% efficiency this year. If the seven pullets had each laid an egg every day they would have produced 497 eggs as of today (day 71 on the Julian calendar).

The actual number of eggs laid was 397, which is 80% of the potential 497 eggs. I guess that's pretty good. I didn't include any of the broken eggs in the year's total count.

They've been going through 50# of feed every 4 weeks, more or less, averaging just over 4 oz of feed per day per bird. At $22.10 per 50 pounds, cost of feed per each egg was 13.9 cents, or $1.67 per dozen. Scratch grains add another 2 cents cost per egg, bringing total feed cost to $1.91 per dozen eggs.

I haven't had to buy any supplements or medical/first aid products for my chickens. So far, anyway.

Last edited:
Got another six eggs this morning.

I calculated that my chickens have laid eggs at 80% efficiency this year. If the seven pullets had each laid an egg every day they would have produced 497 eggs as of today (day 71 on the Julian calendar).

The actual number of eggs laid was 397, which is 80% of the potential 497 eggs. I guess that's pretty good. I didn't include any of the broken eggs in the year's total count.

They've been going through 50# of feed every 4 weeks, more or less, averaging just over 4 oz of feed per day per bird. At $22.10 per 50 pounds, cost of feed per each egg was 13.9 cents, or $1.67 per dozen. Scratch grains add another 2 cents cost per egg, bringing total feed cost to $1.91 per dozen eggs.

I haven't had to buy any supplements or medical/first aid products for my chickens. So far, anyway.
Over the first 10 weeks of this year my four girls have given me 203 eggs, which is 72.5% efficiency. In comparison to your girls, mine are slacking off!

I still find that number impressive, but I’m also amazed my husband and I have already eaten 200 eggs this year! We’ve always been a 2 dozen a month family, now it’s more like 2 dozen a week!

Back
Top Bottom