How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Didn’t get any yesterday, but found one still warm just now when I went down to tend the critters. One of my girls sometimes lays two eggs a day, so maybe she’s getting an early start.
Egg #2 still warm just now

Attachments

• IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So pretty! Such gorgeous earthy tones together. My Olive Egger ended up laying dark brown speckled eggs. At first I was disappointed, but now I am glad. It’s darker than my two Marans, and I have a couple BYM that surprisingly ended up laying green. Variety is the spice of life!
I know right?! My mutts lay green, blue, and a mix of both! Who knew they would lay such a variety!

There were 7 eggs waiting for me at 11AM, but one had a small hole broken into the shell. The membrane didn't break since it's not leaking, but I'll still probably feed it to the chickens.

Looks like it might have dropped from the chicken directly onto another egg, maybe one of the ceramic ones. Or one of the girls accidently broke it with a claw.

We haven't had any eggs since the end of December. Our small flock began molting in December and the birds are in various stages of plumage regeneration. We had a big snow around January 1st then we had those polar freezes where it got to -19 F. Last weekend we rehomed 3 mean girls and picked up 4 nice girls around 5 to 6 months old. Lots of reasons for the girls not to lay yet but I am hopeful that we might see some eggs in 60 days. The past 10 days or so have been abnormally warm for South Dakota at this time of year and it's expected to continue until at least Valentines Day. If our girls don't have to use all of their energy to survive the cold, we might see eggs sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom