How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Four eggs yesterday
Five eggs today
I could almost have a carton if I'd dewormed them earlier. 5329714.gif
Looks like they're getting back on track.

:welcome

A LONG time if no one is sitting on them. If they are fertile they don't start developing until the hen (or incubator) warms them up. As for how long? I can't give you a specific number but summer before last one of my White Rocks decided to lay out in the shrubs. I didn't find the nest until there were 13, maybe 15 eggs in it. Thus the oldest was at LEAST 2 weeks +, out in the yard in July.

No rooster so they weren't fertile and she never sat the nest anyway. They all passed the "float test". Put the egg in a container of water (a 1 cup measuring cup is fine). If it sinks, eat it, if it floats, don't eat it.

The bigger problem is if you live somewhere that the temps go below freezing. An egg can be below freezing for a relatively short time, maybe a few hours. I once picked up an egg off the coop floor that was laid overnight when it was well below freezing. The shell was cracked, nothing leaking out meaning it cracked as the egg expanded. Once it warmed up to room temp the crack disappeared, one would have to know it was there to see it. But when cracked open, the white was runny and the yolk chalky. It wouldn't have been dangerous to eat but the texture sure wouldn't be enticing.

:welcome

A LONG time if no one is sitting on them. If they are fertile they don't start developing until the hen (or incubator) warms them up. As for how long? I can't give you a specific number but summer before last one of my White Rocks decided to lay out in the shrubs. I didn't find the nest until there were 13, maybe 15 eggs in it. Thus the oldest was at LEAST 2 weeks +, out in the yard in July.

No rooster so they weren't fertile and she never sat the nest anyway. They all passed the "float test". Put the egg in a container of water (a 1 cup measuring cup is fine). If it sinks, eat it, if it floats, don't eat it.

The bigger problem is if you live somewhere that the temps go below freezing. An egg can be below freezing for a relatively short time, maybe a few hours. I once picked up an egg off the coop floor that was laid overnight when it was well below freezing. The shell was cracked, nothing leaking out meaning it cracked as the egg expanded. Once it warmed up to room temp the crack disappeared, one would have to know it was there to see it. But when cracked open, the white was runny and the yolk chalky. It wouldn't have been dangerous to eat but the texture sure wouldn't be enticing.
Appreciate the insight. "You learn something new everyday!"

I don't even bother to refrigerate eggs if they will be used/sold in the next day or three. The ones you buy in the store HAVE to be refrigerated because the USDA requires the big producers to wash eggs to within an inch of their lives which removes the natural "bacterial excluding" film the hen puts on the egg as it is laid. It is called "bloom". The commercial eggs have NOTHING to protect them from bacteria getting into the shell other than the cold refrigerator.

If you think about it, a hen with fertile eggs will normally lay 8 or many more BEFORE she starts to sit on them. And of course that is at most 1 per day. They HAVE to be naturally protected from the elements for that extended time. I do NOT wash my girls' eggs unless they have been pooped on which in my coop is EXTREMELY rare. If there is poop, it is usually something the girl brought in on her foot. Most of the time they are as clean looking as any egg you'll find in a carton at the store. The most they generally have might be a pine shaving stuck to it. If I do have to wash them, they will go in the refrigerator.

Back
Top Bottom