How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

OMG, almost gave myself a panic attack. I was in the chicken run trying to clean up some stuff, my hound dog in the yard. I can't latch the run gate from the inside so I have to depend on it staying shut it's self. Anyways I frightened one of the girls who flew into the gate pushing it open, and her and 2 other escaped into the yard right past the dog. I thought for sure this wouldn't end well. See Daisy May is 2 now, she was 1 year when we first got the chickens last year and though she has not hurt any we had 2 prior accidental escapes which resulted in her chasing and terrorizing the chickens. So of course my first thought is how do I stop this 80 pound dog once she's in chase mode, get her inside the house and get the 3 chickens back in the run with out letting out the other 9. Omg... surprisingly Daisy just stood there. I mean sure she got a little excited but she didn't chase them even when 2 ran right in front of her. I was able to tell her to stay (though she didn't do it the first time) and managed to walk her inside with no issue. I'm really proud of her. As for the 3 girls all of them came back in the run to a bag of meal worms and no one else tried to escape.

I guess after a year it's safe enough to finally start working with Daisy more to be out side with the chickens free. Normally I don't let her out during free range and if I do its only on a leash, which I haven't done often enough.

I'm just glad it all went so smoothly when it could have been a really bad situation.

OMG, almost gave myself a panic attack. I was in the chicken run trying to clean up some stuff, my hound dog in the yard. I can't latch the run gate from the inside so I have to depend on it staying shut it's self. Anyways I frightened one of the girls who flew into the gate pushing it open, and her and 2 other escaped into the yard right past the dog. I thought for sure this wouldn't end well. See Daisy May is 2 now, she was 1 year when we first got the chickens last year and though she has not hurt any we had 2 prior accidental escapes which resulted in her chasing and terrorizing the chickens. So of course my first thought is how do I stop this 80 pound dog once she's in chase mode, get her inside the house and get the 3 chickens back in the run with out letting out the other 9. Omg... surprisingly Daisy just stood there. I mean sure she got a little excited but she didn't chase them even when 2 ran right in front of her. I was able to tell her to stay (though she didn't do it the first time) and managed to walk her inside with no issue. I'm really proud of her. As for the 3 girls all of them came back in the run to a bag of meal worms and no one else tried to escape.

I guess after a year it's safe enough to finally start working with Daisy more to be out side with the chickens free. Normally I don't let her out during free range and if I do its only on a leash, which I haven't done often enough.

I'm just glad it all went so smoothly when it could have been a really bad situation.

We attached a bungie cord to our gate so that there is no chance that they can accidentally push it open. Just a thought.

We attached a bungie cord to our gate so that there is no chance that they can accidentally push it open.  Just a thought.

Definitely an idea. Our first event was because the dog bummed the coop door latch trying to see in. We put one of the cariben type clips through the latch so it couldn't be knocked over. But so far the run gate hadn't been an issue as I just avoid maintenance on windy days.

How would the bungee cord work if I usually prop the run gate open when they free range? Would it interfere or would I still just propped it like normal?

26/28 - nearly perfect score today
1f606.png
1f44d.png
!!!
wahoo!! There ya go! How can you tell which ones laid that day? Ours are now 15wks today. More red faces :)

1 egg from 7 hens. 2 eggs total. We got our first egg on Monday and the same hen gave us another today. First egg came 21 weeks to the day. We have two NH reds, two Bl Australorps, two golden laced Wyandotte, and one (RIP Henrietta) Buff Orp. The smallest red was the first to lay. My wife and I would have put her last in our list of guessing (with the exception of Henrietta of course). :)

Back
Top Bottom