How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I went out to collect eggs & this is what I found-
My first ever Broody hatched chick! Mama is still chortling on the nest, so I hope that means more will hatch!

The funny thing is that I had gone to the feed store today to buy some day old chicks to put under her & the other broody hen, but the feed store only had month old or older chicks. So, I didn't get any. Their new shipment comes in on Thursday. I will probably have to go get some for the other broody hen, none of her eggs looked like they were doing much when I candled them last night. I think she ate all the old eggs that had stopped developing and was sitting on some brand new eggs! There was just the beginnings of veining & all the eggs, that had gotten so dirty looking from the early egg that broke, were gone.

I think I got 10 eggs today.

That is SO exciting! We haven't gotten any eggs yet, i'm not sure how old our chicks were when we got them, but this is week 12 with us. I am guessing I might just totally die if I ever get a hatched chickie!!

16 total
1f60d.png
1f61c.png
1f60b.png
temps 92*F

12/13
4/15 pullet eggs

I went out to collect eggs & this is what I found- My first ever Broody hatched chick! Mama is still chortling on the nest, so I hope that means more will hatch! The funny thing is that I had gone to the feed store today to buy some day old chicks to put under her & the other broody hen, but the feed store only had month old or older chicks. So, I didn't get any. Their new shipment comes in on Thursday. I will probably have to go get some for the other broody hen, none of her eggs looked like they were doing much when I candled them last night. I think she ate all the old eggs that had stopped developing and was sitting on some brand new eggs! There was just the beginnings of veining & all the eggs, that had gotten so dirty looking from the early egg that broke, were gone. I think I got 10 eggs today.
Congrats on your hatch! Also congrats on your safe trip to and from BG! I don't get on desktop often to check ovation comments, been sort of not keeping up on counts either. Been busier than normal lately. Hope you are well!

That is SO exciting! We haven't gotten any eggs yet, i'm not sure how old our chicks were when we got them, but this is week 12 with us. I am guessing I might just totally die if I ever get a hatched chickie!!
Thanks! I had just about given up on the eggs actually hatching. So much so that when I first saw the chick under the hen I thought a black mouse had gotten in the nest!! Then I realized what it was & quickly put the hen back in the nest box incase others were trying to pip, zip, or hatch. Today when I checked on her she had 2 chicks under her!
big_smile.png
She still has 2 or 3 eggs that I think are still good & may hatch. The broody is still sitting tight to her nest at any rate.

I put a wire cage over the top of her nest box ( it extends out a couple of feet so she can get out to eat, drink & poop). They other hens in the coop kept jumping in the nest box with her & laying their eggs in there. I was afraid one of the new chicks might get squished, so I cut off their access.

Back
Top Bottom