How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Wahooooo. Some of my slackers r starting to lay , i got 5 eggs this am out of 16 hens. Yesterday I got only 2 eggs. Happy dance.

8/9 + 14 Littles + 8 Tinys

Today is day 23 and there is no sign of anything happening with Agatha's eggs. She's looking pretty ratty, she's exhausted, and I do believe it's about time to pull them and let her get back to normal. I'm disappointed, of course - would love to have had some of Scout's little ones running around, but I'm not risking Agatha in order to do it. She did a great job - sticking to that nest like glue and clucking and fussing over those little eggs. Gave her 9, there's 4 left in there. I may do a water candling later this evening and if I see anything encouraging I'll let her keep going, but tomorrow ends it.

8/9 + 14 Littles + 8 Tinys

Today is day 23 and there is no sign of anything happening with Agatha's eggs. She's looking pretty ratty, she's exhausted, and I do believe it's about time to pull them and let her get back to normal. I'm disappointed, of course - would love to have had some of Scout's little ones running around, but I'm not risking Agatha in order to do it. She did a great job - sticking to that nest like glue and clucking and fussing over those little eggs. Gave her 9, there's 4 left in there. I may do a water candling later this evening and if I see anything encouraging I'll let her keep going, but tomorrow ends it.

Listen to the eggs to try to hear any sounds inside. You can also lightly shake them. If you hear liquid at this stage, it's no good.

Last edited:
We have 4 chickens just starting to lay and have had 4 eggs everyday for weeks. Now 1-3 each day and no more green ones like normal. Do they change colors or is she just not laying now ? We used to get 2 brown one huge brown one and a green one. No more green ones ! :(.

Listen to the eggs to try to hear any sounds inside. You can also lightly shake them. If you hear liquid at this stage, it's no good.
I water candled them this evening, WVDoug. They floated so high in the water that they looked like corks and even after letting the water settle there was absolutely no sign of any life. We'd had a egg explode in the nest last week so I can't say I'm really surprised. Disappointed though....I so wanted a little Scout or two out there. But Agatha is looking so bad. She's exhausted, dirty, and she's lost so much weight she's just feathers - and pretty ratty looking feathers at that. So it was just time to say, "That's enough, Sweet Girl" and let her get back to the rest of the flock.

I water candled them this evening, WVDoug.  They floated so high in the water that they looked like corks and even after letting the water settle there was absolutely no sign of any life.  We'd had a egg explode in the nest last week so I can't say I'm really surprised.  Disappointed though....I so wanted a little Scout or two out there.  But Agatha is looking so bad.  She's exhausted, dirty, and she's lost so much weight she's just feathers - and pretty ratty looking feathers at that.  So it was just time to say, "That's enough, Sweet Girl" and let her get back to the rest of the flock.  

Sorry... Question... What's water candling?

Back
Top Bottom