How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

And when I picked them up I said I didn't want to mess with chicks right now. And I have 40 eggs in an incubator right now. Oh man.
big_smile.png
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

15/22
Count will be down for a while. Lost a RIR, BO, and CM to a fox this evening, right around sunset. I feel terrible.
sad.png

I was inside researching how to protect chickens that are in pasture when I saw the fox trying to carry off the RIR. It ran away as soon as I ran out the door. Found the other two by following the trails of different colored feathers into the woods. Guess the answer is to be out there with them.
So sorry for your loss, that stinks so bad! Time to go on a fox hunt!!!!!
somad.gif

Weird day.........

chicken:
12/17/17

duck- 3/3/3

An old Cream Legbar hen laid an egg today, but first, she threw an Easter egger egg out of the nest box, and landing it on the ledge...broken.

Then, I found a rubber egg OUTSIDE of chicken run..even though no chickens got out today, unless she flew back in after laying her rubber egg in the open outside of the run????

Here's the broken egg, perfectly balanced on the ledge, and the crabby Cream Legbar is still in the nest laying her egg in it's place!

Last edited:
15/22
Count will be down for a while.   Lost a RIR, BO, and CM to a fox this evening, right around sunset.  I feel terrible.  :(
I was inside researching how to protect chickens that are in pasture when I saw the fox trying to carry off the RIR.  It ran away as soon as I ran out the door.  Found the other two by following the trails of different colored feathers into the woods.  Guess the answer is to be out there with them.

Oh no... I'm sorry for your lose... :hugs

I lost 2 this year as well to a stinking opossum. One was ripped up beyond repair and the other was pulled into the dark part of the crowded shed through an open window and killed...

I would set traps, fence off the area if possible and load a shotgun.. One will stop that fox in its tracks... The others just annoy it.

I have a few "options" as far as vermin control, but thought I might still be able to save the RIR if I didn't take the few extra seconds to grab one before running out the door.
I knew this could happen, but had been lucky so far and got complacent.
I did give my two roosters a talking to about not defending their ladies.

Back
Top Bottom