How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

2/3 today. Haven't been keeping up with the thread because Rusty's gone broody. She was stopping on the nest for a couple of hours at a time for two or three days, then finally decided not to come out at all. First broody I've had, so I'm probably worrying more than I should - she doesn't seem to come out at all, so I've been taking her off the nest twice a day to make certain she moves and eats at least a bit. She looks really worried for about a minute, then stuffs her face with feed and scratch, flaps and squawks like a mad thing, runs up and down the lawn a couple of times, then heads back to the nest.
One bizarre thing today - it's been a week since she went broody, and she's been sitting on the one egg I left her. After the second day I moved her to the right nest box (which has always been 'invisible' to the three of them), to give the other two the left box to lay in. For the past four or five days, they've used it no problem. Today I went to work early. At 1.00pm I came home and had a look - no eggs in the left box - SLACKERS I thought! Took Rusty out of her box to make her have a walk around (and a pooh!) What do I see? 3 eggs in her box that only had 1 this morning! The other two girls had laid in her nest box! I don't know if they threw her out to lay there because they think it must be a better box, or if they want to give her more eggs to hatch!!!

(PS - Rusty is sitting on an infertile egg - I haven't got a rooster. My plan is to get a few day old chicks in a couple of weeks, and slip them into the nest overnight. My neighbours assure me that this works - we'll see. Given that fertile eggs cost 2.50€ -3.00€ a piece here, and day old chicks are 0.75€, I think it's probably a better deal
wink.png
)

Last edited:
3/10... not sure what's going on w/ the youngsters. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I was quite enjoying those 6 and 7/day days.

These are 2 eggs from today, however. The JUMBO one is the equivalent to about three normal eggs tho. :)

We need to get a scale so we can start weighing these monsters and compare them to their normal eggs.

L.

Heck yeah that's huge... But doesn't quite make up for your slackers... If they are new layers they might not be leaving their eggs in approved places...
Either way I'd be tempted to go squeeze some chickens

9 out of 20 hens.

They actually have been laying better the last few days, guess they needed a rest after all that rain we've been getting.

Last edited:
was 3 of 3 again, with Austra laying the last egg.
Someone was singing before they laid an egg, it seems.
Chickens are goofy.
wee.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom