How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

When my RIR's slacked off for a couple days i let them free range for a week in my back yard. Try giving them a. Lot of greens (turnips, collard leaves and such). An old timer told me extra greens helped keep the egg production up... so far that is working... I put them back in the run when they started tearing the back yard up... feeding mine layena, scratch grain, turnips lettuce,collards and cabbage. Im in Lumberton NC.... 9 RIR Hens and a RIR Rooster..

I wish I could let them free range, there are too many dogs around here :( But I will start feeding them more greens as I do have cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, And lettuce in my back yard growing!! I hope this helps. Thank you for the advice :)

2 from 2 layers... have not missed a day since they began. They lay between 6:30am and 7:00am every morning.

Can't wait for the others to begin.

Last edited:
Still only getting 1 egg from my big girls.. :( Bantams have even slacked off again.. Can't figure out what is going on.. Have had a light in the coops for a month or so now, so i'm baffled...

wink.png

They lived about an hour away before, and I am not sure as he had 30 chickens and I don't think they were of age maybe to be laying?? I'm not sure.. I am going to to a light tonight for a few extra hours and see if that works if it doesn't then I am going to let them be and they will lay when they get ready I guess

Light in the AM, not PM (though Rhoise has her girls trained to go to bed at 8 PM and lights until then. Regular schedule of feeding them before bed).

As to "old enough to lay", from what I've learned here, by individual bird, that can be 16 weeks and it can be a year!
Do they have red combs? That was a clear indication on mine before they started to lay. Then they started to squat and got friendlier as they seemed to be somewhat unsettled not long before they laid the first time. I can image how that would be true since they have NO idea they are going to lay their first egg in the near future and that egg must feel mighty strange as it moves along the assembly line.

7 today. That means 13 in two days!
big_smile.png

2 Ancona - these girls are really productive
1 EE - if again from Andromeda, she's cranking them out too. Persephone squatted Monday, I'm hoping she lays a different shade of blue/green so I can tell them apart.
1 Faverolle
1 Chantecler
1 Australorp - and we can't short change Echo, she's been popping out 2 every three days since she started less than 2 weeks ago.

Bruce

I have 6 hens ( two australorps, new hampshire, rir, buff opr and a wyndotte/rir mix). 5 of them are less than a year old around 8 or 9 months. the other one is two. I keep her because she is very broody. She lays a solid white egg. I am getting one egg a day. Is this normal. I have a friend who had 5 hens and he gets 5 eggs a day. Is there something that I am not doing right? I am new to chickens so any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Ashley
Hi Ashley,
Light is the #1 major factor that effects the laying cycle. In NC today, the daylight hours only lasted around 9hrs and 50 mins, you just moved your girls from their home coop 16 days ago, and they are most likely a bit disoriented. One day of added light won't do the trick just screw them up or stress them out. It would take a week or so on 14 hrs of lighting on a regular schedule to get their cycle going again if you decide to try it. If they were being supplemented with light where they came from and abruptly stopped when you got them, that would be the most likely reason for no eggs. There are many different opinions on lights or no lights. I choose to light and get eggs, others choose to get less or no eggs and give their gals a rest in winter. Sounds like your pullets are young, if you wait out the winter, come spring, the increase in day length should trigger them to kick it into gear and produce more. If they have good feed, fresh unfrozen water, and 14 hours of light, those breeds should start laying like gang busters at that age.
I have my lights(rope Christmas type) come on by timer at 6am and off at 8pm everyday. The Chickens adjust well, my girls go into the coop and climb on their roost and preen and groom themselves around 7:30 pm and the lights instantly blackout at 8pm. We've never had any lost chickens, or ones that haven't figured out how to get on the roost after lights out so far.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your new gals!
Julie

Back
Top Bottom