How many chickens should I keep

Just checked and there isn’t a law on coup size where I’m at. I didn’t know that there were laws in general so I appreciate you sharing that with me.
It really depends on where you live, everywhere has different laws so its always a good idea to look up the animal ordinances where you live.

Where we lived when we first got chickens the city allowed them by exclusion. Meaning chickens were allowed by virtue of the fact that there was no law against them within city limits. That's how it works in most rural areas too, the county or township doesn't prohibit chickens so people who live out in the country are allowed to keep them as long as they aren't violating any welfare laws that may be in place.

Where I live now, we just got the city to change the animal ordinance from specifically prohibiting chickens to specifically allowing them with restrictions on coop size and location as well as number of birds and what can be done with them. The new ordinance specifies they are "for personal use" meaning technically we can't sell meat or eggs from our chickens (which is why anyone who pys us for eggs is making a donation to our feed fund, not buying eggs). Our law also specifies that the chickens can't be free ranged, they can only legally be out of the run/coop if the yard has a 4ft fence and they are being supervised.

When the city was considering the new ordinance they looked at a bunch of other cities chicken laws. Some required registration, licensing, or permits, some required neighbors give permission, etc.

Thank you.
I didn't post it to brag. I posted it to give you a visual on what a coop for 24 birds looks like.
I really appreciate it! No, I’m envious! I really do appreciate all the comments. I will not be getting anymore chickens with my setup that I have . At least I know that for SURE. It really talked some sense into me… haha

I grew up with chickens in a very old-school way. Growing up my papa would have shoved 40 chickens in this thing I swear :( I thought what I had was plenty big. It’s a little disappointing because I thought I was giving my chickens a better life than the ones I grew up with in their smaller coups.

I didn’t expect everyone to respond so quickly about how I was wrong… but I do love your set up . I really do !!

It really depends on where you live, everywhere has different laws so its always a good idea to look up the animal ordinances where you live.

Where we lived when we first got chickens the city allowed them by exclusion. Meaning chickens were allowed by virtue of the fact that there was no law against them within city limits. That's how it works in most rural areas too, the county or township doesn't prohibit chickens so people who live out in the country are allowed to keep them as long as they aren't violating any welfare laws that may be in place.

Where I live now, we just got the city to change the animal ordinance from specifically prohibiting chickens to specifically allowing them with restrictions on coop size and location as well as number of birds and what can be done with them. The new ordinance specifies they are "for personal use" meaning technically we can't sell meat or eggs from our chickens (which is why anyone who pys us for eggs is making a donation to our feed fund, not buying eggs). Our law also specifies that the chickens can't be free ranged, they can only legally be out of the run/coop if the yard has a 4ft fence and they are being supervised.

When the city was considering the new ordinance they looked at a bunch of other cities chicken laws. Some required registration, licensing, or permits, some required neighbors give permission, etc.
Apparently the laws on this side of the county are different than in the city. I’m way out of city limits. In the city they don’t let anyone keep chickens.

Outside the city the only law mentioned is how chickens should be kept secure on the property and not impede traffic etc… I guess I didn’t think to look because one of my neighbors has like 50 chickens that are always on my driveway 😂

Apparently the laws on this side of the county are different than in the city. I’m way out of city limits. In the city they don’t let anyone keep chickens.

Outside the city the only law mentioned is how chickens should be kept secure on the property and not impede traffic etc… I guess I didn’t think to look because one of my neighbors has like 50 chickens that are always on my driveway 😂

The laws, codes, set backs can vary wildly.

Where I am in the middle of a city big enough to have 2 Wal-Marts, 7 grocery stores, scores of apartments and restaurants even roosters are legal. The surrounding cities/towns have strict limits.

I really appreciate it! No, I’m envious! I really do appreciate all the comments. I will not be getting anymore chickens with my setup that I have . At least I know that for SURE. It really talked some sense into me… haha

I grew up with chickens in a very old-school way. Growing up my papa would have shoved 40 chickens in this thing I swear :( I thought what I had was plenty big. It’s a little disappointing because I thought I was giving my chickens a better life than the ones I grew up with in their smaller coups.

I didn’t expect everyone to respond so quickly about how I was wrong… but I do love your set up . I really do !!

I appreciate that you like my coop.

As long as you keep a close eye out for issues as they grow and have a plan for the what if's you ARE giving them a better life than a battery egg farm.
In one photo there is a nice big structure near the run.....just tossing this out there....Could that be a potential future coop?

One other thing to be ready for...as they begin laying their poops will become much larger. I mean like 5 times the size from what they are now. A bigger coop is far easier to keep from getting gross.

Okay because right now we have 18, but the five buffs are going to my fiancés step mom. So in theory we’ll have 13 after all is said in done. Then we have a couple we are watching for gender. Could I maybe get away with getting 6 chicks from the feed store and still not have too many ?
Sounds ok, but like I said, 25 birds are the absolute most.

I’ll see what we can do run-wise, even if that means letting them free range all the time. I don’t want them to not get enough exercise so I guess back to the drawing board 😂😂 I am attatched to these little suckers now so they ain’t going anywhere

You can squeak out more chicken usable space in the run by giving them vertical structures where they can get separation from the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom