How long should I continue Corid?

Emmies Chicks

Hatching
Apr 6, 2018
Started my 8, 2-3 week old chicks on Corid last Friday because of bloody puddles of poop from 1-2 chicks. One of them is still pooping blood puddles. I can't for the life of me figure out which one it is or I would quarantine it. I quarantined one of the babies for 36 hours and its poop cleared up.

Tomorrow is day 5 for Corid. Should I continue it if they are not well yet? How long should I continue the Corid and at what dose after tomorrow? They are currently on 2.5ml per quart of water or 1.25ml per pint. They have been eating and drinking and playing, non stop, thank goodness! I think I caught it in time, if Coccidiosis is what they have? Not sure, but thought best to treat and be safe. Do I repeat the treatment in 2 weeks if I stop it tomorrow? I have read a bazillion recommendations and a bit overwhelmed with what to do and when and how much to give.

You're using the recommended dosage for treatment. Five days is the recommended duration for the first round. Then a week later, another five day round of treatment.

If you aren't seeing improvement by now, I would add a sulfa drug to the Corid, and do another five-day round immediately.

I would give it for 7 days, and then you can reduce the dosage for an additional 5 days. Probiotics or a good brand of plain yogurt with cultures can be given mixed into food and some water, which would be good to get the gut bacteria back to normal. @casportpony has the Corid dosages on her page, so I would follow that since the one seems severe. You can also give 2 drops of undiluted Corid to the sickest chick twice a day as a boost. Enteritis should be suspected if it continues, and then a vet may need to give an appropriate antibiotic, but I would get a fecal test first.

Edited to say I was posting at the same time as Azygous. She has good advice about the sulfa antibiotic—those must be obtained through a vet since Jan2017. Chicks may have blood in droppings due to coccidia or enteritis. Sulfa antibiotics may help with an especially harsh strain.

The Corid, Amprol, or AmproMed dose is 3-7 days at full strength (1.5 teaspoon powder or 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon), then a reduced dose for an additional 7-14 days (1/3 teaspoon powder or 1/2 teaspoon liquid per gallon).

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

Sulfa antibiotics may help
KsKingBee does his own fecals and has found that Sulfamethoxine to be the most effective drug when treating coccidiosis. He also tried the other sulfa, sulfamethazine, but it was not as effective. I have had great success with Baycox, so that's something to consider as well.

Sulfamethoxine injectable can be purchased without a prescription in all states except California. It's given to dogs and cats in the muscle, but I think it could be given orally to birds.

Sulfa and amprolium can be given at the same time.

Last edited:
To reduce the information our team of heavy hitters have supplied, so you understand in a nutshell what is likely occurring, the coccidia have managed to assist bacteria in eating away at the intestinal lining of your chicks, causing the continued bleeding.

Therefore, you now need to treat for a bacterial infection on top of the coccidiosis using an antibiotic. Sulfa drugs are the most recommended to treat the condition called necrotic enteritis when occurring with coccidiosis, but if you can't get them, you can certainly try any broad spectrum antibiotic.

Without it, you're certain to start losing chicks.

Most sites I have checked require a prescription from a vet online for sulfadimethoxine. Where do you find it without one? Oh, I see you said the injectable form. Okay, but haven’t seen that.
https://www.revivalanimal.com/produ...5S3NHggtkTNR4tFpvSSVQyZbaSXhTLlsaAvSDEALw_wcB
sulfa_40_1.jpg
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...igy3L7Pm9oslDgzV6Q9Q5Lht2lXVfQT0aAlhuEALw_wcB
sulfa_40_2.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I apologize for my delay in responding and showing gratitude for taking the time to help me. I had a minor family emergency yesterday and had to help family. All is well now and back to focusing on my chicks who low and behold are doing seemingly well today! I was finally able to figure out who was still pooping blood and quarantined those 2 last night in "chick ICU" lol One seems to be pooping normal this morning and the other is pooping more formed, not as runny/watery but still has dark blood color. The other chicks are pooping normal.
Should I treat all of them with sulpha even though poop appears to be normal?

Back
Top Bottom