How long does fermented feed last?

Same here-5-6 days, and I save about 1/4 cup when it runs out to quick-start my new batch. That way there is no waiting period for it to ferment! I only have 5 bantams, so I only make up a couple of cups at a time.

So those of you whom are using the fermented feed for 5-6 days after the process is complete (3 days). How do you store the fermented feed? Do you keep it in the water? Do you drain all the water out after 3 days? Does it need to be kept refrigerated? This is my first batch and the videos i've watched didn't address storage. Thanks

I keep my jar in my coffee bar due to a convenient sink and also because the temperature in that corner is fairly stable. There's no water to drain, I keep it very thick and most standing water in the jar is absorbed in the first 24 hrs. Feed ferments better when it's warmer so I don't refrigerate, though in the summer if it gets too warm it does mold sometimes so I always check if before feeding.

I just keep my jar on the kitchen counter. I add water if it gets too dry (water that has been standing for at least 24 hours to get rid of the chlorine if you have treated water). I keep it at the consistency my chickens like it, which is like cooked oatmeal. Some people might want it with more liquid, and some might want it drier. You can experiment to see which texture your chickens like best. I never drain the water, as I put equal parts feed with equal parts water, and it never gets too soupy. Stir it once or twice a day. You don't need to refrigerate it unless your house gets really hot. If it is air conditioned, leave it out. Just smell it to be sure it isn't sour. (You will know! Fermented feed doesn't stink, just has a slight vinegary smell). Mine has never soured yet and I've been doing it for several months now.

I make enough to feed out daily and I back slop for the next day. It sits on the kitchen counter in a crock all the time. My chickens like it thicker, like this
Fermented feed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom