How long can an egg survive without its mother?

ChickenGal64

Chirping
May 19, 2020
Hi!
So this morning we realized that our broody hen was locked out of the henhouse where her eggs were (14 days into incubation). We were wondering how long eggs can survive without their mother? It was around 70-75 degrees last night and the mother is back on them.

Hi!
So this morning we realized that our broody hen was locked out of the henhouse where her eggs were (14 days into incubation). We were wondering how long eggs can survive without their mother? It was around 70-75 degrees last night and the mother is back on them.
That's a long time. I would expect most to have died. Candle tonight to check them.

How long was she actually away from them?I would let her sit on them for a full day before I candle them. Just give them time to warm up nicely. Then see if there’s any activity in the eggs. And if you don’t see activity at first I don’t know I think I might even let them go another day. After that if I didn’t see activity I’d cut my losses and break her broody.

Then again…I had 3 of my eggs that everyone thought were dead. I decided to let them continue. They all hatched. I watched for cracks and stink. A different egg smelled bad so it got tossed.

Back
Top Bottom