How long are brittle eggs “normal” for new layers?

RockyTM84

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2023
Western OH
Hi all,

My girls are 22 wks old and just starting to lay eggs. Most of the eggs are normal, with hard shells and the occasional double yolk. At least one of my girls (maybe two) are laying brittle eggs. How long is this considered normal for new layers and is there anything to do besides offer calcium on the side?

By "brittle" do you mean tissue thin shells? No, that is the opposite of normal for new layers.

If you can, try to identify the one laying the double yolk eggs and the ones laying the thin shell eggs, and give each one whole tablet of this each day directly into the beak for about three days, longer if the double yolk eggs continue as well as the thin shell eggs.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Double yolk eggs may seem like a bonus, but it's an omen of reproductive problems to come. The concentrated calcium for a few days may be able to regulate ovulation to a single yolk, sparing the hen the stress of a jumbo egg that is apt to become stuck at some point down the road.

By "brittle" do you mean tissue thin shells? No, that is the opposite of normal for new layers.

If you can, try to identify the one laying the double yolk eggs and the ones laying the thin shell eggs, and give each one whole tablet of this each day directly into the beak for about three days, longer if the double yolk eggs continue as well as the thin shell eggs.
View attachment 3406759Double yolk eggs may seem like a bonus, but it's an omen of reproductive problems to come. The concentrated calcium for a few days may be able to regulate ovulation to a single yolk, sparing the hen the stress of a jumbo egg that is apt to become stuck at some point down the road.
Yeah, they are paper thin with very little calcium on the outside. I will try to figure out which one it is. She lays before 6am so I usually find the egg asap so they don’t try to eat it.

I might expect once or twice as things get started, but it shouldn't be a consistent issue. I would definitely suggest offering calcium as azygous mentioned above. If that doesn't fix the shells, there may be something else going on, but most likely she just needs a bit of extra help to get started.

@Mother-Hen-Michele Actually, calcium citrate is the easiest form of calcium to digest and absorb. It's why I recommend this form over others. The large tablet is easy to swallow for a hen, and it dissolves nearly instantly in the crop for quick absorption.

Oyster shell is an excellent source of calcium to supplement the needs of laying hens who aren't currently experiencing reproductive issues, but it requires it to be of large partical size in order to remain in the digestive system long enough to be absorbed. Grinding up oyster shell and mixing it into food defeats the purpose of the oyster shell as an on-demand supplement.

@azygous

Is there a way to dye or paint their vents to determine which is laying the weak eggs? I’m fairly certain it’s one of my Wyandottes laying the weak egg and the Australorps are laying double yolks. But not all of them. I just don’t want to give them extra calcium if I’m not certain they have an issue. I was thinking of using watercolor kids paint or food grade dye. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom