How is my ventilation?

The fan has cooled it off a few degrees and quickly. Its done. God job at circulating the air, which seems logical?

As far as adding vents on the overhang, I am not sure, honestly. I thought of cutting out a rectangle from the back wall and covering it with hc?

I'm a big fan of fans.

The fan we use for ventilation is made for the choking dust created by the chickens, I think I linked in another one of your threads, but I will link it here again. Every attic fan I looked at actually specifically had a "not for use in chicken coops" warning.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=D74B298D-3C6F-4287-9F9F-4EA09B8D0A73

Be aware that there are other versions of this on Amazon that do NOT have a plug.

These fans can double as a window for passive air - simply by propping the shutters open with a short chunk of 2x4- and will still be predator proof. And when the shutters are shut, it's about like a closed window- mine is on the side of the coop that takes the prevailing winds in fall/winter- and has held up just fine.

Ventilation fans like this will let the air in the coop equalize with the outside temperature quickly. But on nights that just don't cool down, merely having the temperature the same inside and out isn't enough.

Mine love being in front of the fans in the coop - I have 2 24" fans up high (though it's a bigger coop with multilevel roosts- 130+ birds) that are 5000cfm - and a barrel fan for down low. Those help during the day when the chickens are laying, and at night the fans blowing on them helps quite a bit- they will actively jockey for position to get close to the fans.

Although now when it's just not going to cool down overnight, I close the windows, turn off the fans and wheel out the air conditioner, vented out through a window.

Keep in mind anything not meant for livestock use will absolutely have a shortened lifespan in a chicken coop and can indeed become a fire hazard. I have to replace those other fans regularly. The one meant for livestock soldiers on.

After the heat events we've had these last few years, I just don't travel in the warmer months - from May to the end of October, even with an excellent farm sitter checking in a couple times a day. But that's just me.

I'm a big fan of fans.

The fan we use for ventilation is made for the choking dust created by the chickens, I think I linked in another one of your threads, but I will link it here again. Every attic fan I looked at actually specifically had a "not for use in chicken coops" warning.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=D74B298D-3C6F-4287-9F9F-4EA09B8D0A73

Be aware that there are other versions of this on Amazon that do NOT have a plug.

These fans can double as a window for passive air - simply by propping the shutters open with a short chunk of 2x4- and will still be predator proof. And when the shutters are shut, it's about like a closed window- mine is on the side of the coop that takes the prevailing winds in fall/winter- and has held up just fine.

Ventilation fans like this will let the air in the coop equalize with the outside temperature quickly. But on nights that just don't cool down, merely having the temperature the same inside and out isn't enough.

Mine love being in front of the fans in the coop - I have 2 24" fans up high (though it's a bigger coop with multilevel roosts- 130+ birds) that are 5000cfm - and a barrel fan for down low. Those help during the day when the chickens are laying, and at night the fans blowing on them helps quite a bit- they will actively jockey for position to get close to the fans.

Although now when it's just not going to cool down overnight, I close the windows, turn off the fans and wheel out the air conditioner, vented out through a window.

Keep in mind anything not meant for livestock use will absolutely have a shortened lifespan in a chicken coop and can indeed become a fire hazard. I have to replace those other fans regularly. The one meant for livestock soldiers on.

After the heat events we've had these last few years, I just don't travel in the warmer months - from May to the end of October, even with an excellent farm sitter checking in a couple times a day. But that's just me.

Your ac unit doesn't clog up with dust? I plan to keep the fan to help with these muggy nights but am actively adding windows too, with the hope that the fan will be more for those harshest of days.

Your ac unit doesn't clog up with dust? I plan to keep the fan to help with these muggy nights but am actively adding windows too, with the hope that the fan will be more for those harshest of days.
I cover all my portable A/C unit's intakes with filters. It's not a fun process, especially with the cost of filters these days. I also replace any bedding in the coop with fresh pine pellets when I'm going to run the A/C- that helps cut down on the dust. When we get heat waves, it tends to be a 5 day stretch of days- it can still be 90 degrees+ at midnight - and in the mid-80s first thing in the AM. Once we've had one, it seems they just keep rolling through.

I'm a big fan of fans.

I was looking at that fan and settled on a commercial-grade unit not specifically for livestock because it was the only one I could find with a thermostat. Do you happen to know if I could attach a thermostat to the one you have? I couldn't find anything on the manufacturer's website.

I was looking at that fan and settled on a commercial-grade unit not specifically for livestock because it was the only one I could find with a thermostat. Do you happen to know if I could attach a thermostat to the one you have? I couldn't find anything on the manufacturer's website.

That I do not know but based on their poultry section having its own "controls" page - I'm willing to bet there's a way.

https://jdmfg.com/product_cats/controls/?application=poultry ---

like this do dad, which lists compatibility with its exhaust fans and other products: https://jdmfg.com/product/vc012-vc012-c/?application=controls&application_cat=poultry

Description:

VC012 & VC012-C​

J&D's rugged VC012 thermostat is perfect for applications that require a simple control. It may be wired for heating or cooling to control your exhaust fan, circulation fan, power shutter, heater, or heat lamp. For plug-and-go operation, the VC012-C is pre-wired with a 120 Volt, 8' piggyback cord. Simply plug the thermostat into a grounded outlet, then plug your exhaust fan, circulation fan, or power shutter into the back of the thermostat plug for instant operation. No electrician required!

I found it on Amazon, not sure if it's cheaper somewhere else- check their dealer list for your area- and I don't think it's the VC012-C version for 'plug and go' operation.

https://www.amazon.com/VC012-115-230V-50-60HZ-Single-Thermostat/dp/B094Q6T7S2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1VLC9FWQV504N&keywords=j&d+single+stage+thermostat&qid=1654717695&sprefix=j&D+the,aps,166&sr=8-2

They have a "chat" function where you could ask or go to their "contact" page to submit a question.

Last edited:
All these years I'd never even thought about a thermostat. Now I'm going to have to try it. Darn you and your fancy ideas!

I just wanted the fan to kick on automatically when the temp rose to a certain level. Especially when I'm at work during the day, the weather in TX can change on a dime. You can leave for work needing a jacket, and by the end of the day, you're rushing home to put on your shorts. :idunno

I agree, I don't even go shopping/errands for more than a few hours at a time and try to avoid doctor appointments in the heat of the day--I've even rescheduled them due to heat!

Well, I have spent hours today removing vents and replacing with hc. I also now have three more holes cut in the front, at the top and a large window with hc on the back wall, in the middle. Yet, despite all my efforts, the coop currently rests at 94 degrees. Ironically, I think taking the louvered vents OFF allows the sun to shine in instead, heating it even more.

Back
Top Bottom