How high will ducks jump?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
15 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I'm trying to figure out a design for the new coop I'm hoping to build this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how to keep the ducks from getting into the chicken portion of the coop. They'll have a fence/wall between them to separate them when they're both in the coop, but when they're out free ranging, I don't want the ducks to be able to get in the chicken door. If the chicken door is two feet up the wall, will the ducks jump up to go in there?

Hmm. Will they jump onto a perch (like chickens)? Do you think if we built the chicken door about 3(+) feet up and built some sort of tiered perches for the chickens to go in, would the ducks still go in?

Last edited:
Only Scovies will perch like the chickens so you should be good.

Thanks!
smile.png

When I want to keep my ducks seperated from the chickens or out of a particular run I stretch a 2 ft. high fence across the area and they haven't jumped over it yet.

Good. That's kind of what I'm planning to do inside the coop. I'm hoping/thinking it will be okay if the chickens get into the duck part of the coop, but I don't want the ducks making a mess in the chicken side.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom