How do you store your feed/scratch?

20 Gal Galvanized trash cans are just the right size for a 50 lb bag.

Also, I had an old metal step trash can that I wasn't using. I took the plastic bucket out and it is just the right size to hold my large round galvanized feeder. I set it up right next to the 'food court' and it's easy to plop the feeder in at night so I won't have visitors eating the rest of my girls feed all night.

Last edited:
We bought several 10 gallon regular METAL garbage cans. Labeled them for chicken feed, duck/goose feed, scratch grain, and baby chick feed...They have tight fitting lids. We fill them up and they are out in the shed. We have NEVER had a rodent or moisture get into them. We keep plastic bucket and scoop there for putting some in to transfer to coops.

Hello. I am looking for ideas for storing my feed/scratch. I currently keep all feed/scratch in our feed/tack room which is in our basement through an outside door. We have some mice friends getting into it. What do you use that works? Metal trash cans? Plastic feed containers? Thanks in advance.
I keep a bag of feed and a bag of scratch in separate metal trash cans with lids. This keeps everything out!

Hello. I am looking for ideas for storing my feed/scratch. I currently keep all feed/scratch in our feed/tack room which is in our basement through an outside door. We have some mice friends getting into it. What do you use that works? Metal trash cans? Plastic feed containers? Thanks in advance.
I use both, metal trash cans and plastic trash containers with lids.
Wish I had pics to show you.

I live on 18 acres in the woods. I store my chicken scratch and black sunflower seeds and crumbles in the bags they come in, but store them in large (35 gal?) plastic garbage cans with their lids. I have not had any any mice or other critters chew into them. They are inside a metal barn which is closed up at night. I also have a barn cat in there too. IMO either plastic or metal garbage cans from Lowes or Home Depot will work great. I can put two 50 pound sacks in one. The lids fit tight enough to keep critters out, if they do get inside. Most feed sacks are not waterproof! FYI. No troubles and been here 10 years now.

Back
Top Bottom