How do you prepare your Coturnix quail for dinner?

Pics

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I just butchered my Coturnix quail and am trying to figure out the best way to prepare them. They have so little meat that they definitely need more to go with them. Even though they are small I only want to do one per person (trying to reduce meat intake). I was thinking about trying to stuff them but I'm honestly clueless. I have next to no knowledge on how to prepare meat because most of my experience is with vegetarian foods. Preparing meat is daunting to me. Mine still have the skin on.

Unfortunately there are a lot of dietary requirements, but if you have a recipe or way of preparing please say anyway so I can get a better understanding of what can be done with quail, even if I can't make it at this time.

No gluten, dairy, or red meat. Beans and nuts need to be limited. I may have a gluten-free stuffing but I'm not completely sure.

I may cave and buy bacon if people really suggest that since I've heard it's very good, but I'd rather not.

I'm wondering if I could stuff them with sweet potatoes and put them in the oven or something? I just really need a lot of help here because google hasn't been enough help for me to know how I'm cooking them tonight :barnie

Can they just be tossed into the oven with maybe carrots and potatoes? Please help, I have zero clue what I'm doing. I absolutely love vegetables so if you know how they can go well with the quail let me know!

Edited to add: Please assume I know nothing when it comes to cooking meat. Because I know nothing when it comes to cooking meat.

Did you skin or pluck?

I skinned, put birds in dutch oven (roasting pan or casserole dish is fine). Sweet taters on bottom. OR red taters, onions, carrots, squash (butternut is great) or whatever else. Season to taste. A little salt, black pepper, green peppers, red pepper, rosemary, oregano or basil. Especially basil. Bake covered at 350°F for an hour or until done. Wonderful.

Boiling until the meat falls off the bone is nice. Take broth & meat and make a gumbo.

Pot roast with tomato sauce. Ettoufee. Creole. Jambalaya. Soups. Frying if that is your pleasure. Really, cook it however you desire. Your favorite recipe can be done using quail.

The fancy restaurants take quail legs, add cheese and peppers, wrap in bacon and grill. Also works with the breast meat. Delicious!

I do recommend cooking slow and low for the first try. Very hard to mess up. (ask me how I know, I dare you. ;))

Cooking with the bones adds flavor and depth. Cheers. Don't stress and enjoy.:yesss:

The only real trick is to make sure there's something giving them moisture. Easier with the skins on like yours (I far prefer them that way), but it's not a bad idea to either marinate/glaze them (homemade honey mustard sauce is my favorite) , or wrap/stuff them with something moist (if sweet potatoes or root veggies I would add some kind of sauce or broth).

Congrats, enjoy :drool

I put 1 cup white rice with 2 cups water into my rice cooker, add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, a can of mixed veggies with the juice (the extra juice is gonna help as you're cooking it a bit longer than just rice), a couple bouillon cube and/or a package of dry soup mix, or a can of cream of (whatever you like) soup and the quail... about 40 minutes later, dinner.

Well, first you have to get all the places set on that tiny little quail-height table, then you get them all into their little bibs, then-

Ah, I think I've misinterpreted the question.

Serious answer, my dad used to prepare quail breasts by baking them on a sheet in the oven, with bacon laid over them. It makes for lousy, floppy bacon (he'd save it to toss into chili) and tasty quail. You could probably do that with the legs, too. And I know on cooking shows I've seen them just cut a butchered quail in half, cover in spices, and roast it in a skillet.
Or you could grind them up in a food processor to make a truly awful but very high-protein shake.

Hey everyone - sorry I don't get on here much anymore! I prepared the first 3 quail by just rubbing olive oil and putting salt and pepper on them. I baked them at 200 C for 15-20 minutes.

They were absolutely delicious. They were tender and had plenty of moisture.

I'll look at this thread again when I prepare the next few for dinner!

Okay, I know this thread is old, but this seemed to be the thread with the most recipes in it. Since Snack decided to be mean, I now have three quail to cook. I cooked my first one a few weeks ago when I took care of my extra roos, and I wasn't impressed with what I turned out. It was tough and gamy tasting. I think my problem was that I cooked it like I would a chicken, but for less time (baked with a bit of butter and poultry seasoning).

I've read about brining. Does that make it more tender? @muddy75 posted this brine recipe that I was planning on trying this weekend.

4c Apple cider 1/4 c each apple cider vinegar, dark brown sugar, kosher salt

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated, and as I find recipes that I like, I'll post them here.

Back
Top Bottom