How do you get a frizzle....

thepetpaw

Songster
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Tennessee
I see frizzle chins, frizzle polish -
What do you do to get the frizzle chickens?

Does anyone have polish frizzle or any other kind except for naked necks? i love the frizzles!

Joni

Frizzleds are kind of their own breed. The only frizzleds you can really purchase that are pure are frizzled cochins. Frizzle is a freak gene that was used to make it's own type of breed, I guess you could say.
If you take a frizzled cochin and cross it with any other breed of chicken, chances are you will get about half and half of frizzle and nonfrizzle.
If you cross a frizzle to a polish, you will get 50/50.

Hahaha...I can picture getting pulled over for that. Actually, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with LinckHill on this one. Many different breeds of frizzle (Japanese, polish, etc.) are obtained from breeding a frizzle cochin (usually) with one of that breed, say a polish for example. The offspring will exhibit characteristic of both breeds, for example: you may get a crested, short, poofy, smooth chick and frizzle, noncrested, "V combed" chick...any combo is possible. From that generation, you then select chicks with traits that you want to propogate and breed them back to one another (F2 generation) to attempt to get rid of things you don't want (ie: cochin characteristics) and keep the things you want (frizzle feathers). This can continue on for MANY generations until the desired outcome is achieved. So, it isn't a ratio of "if I breed a polish to a frizzle cochin, I will get half and half). Also of note: most people avoid breeding frizzle to frizzle, as this can result in what people call a frazzle. A frazzle is a seemingly healthy chick with normal down that eventually goes bald when it's adult feathers come in. It is fine, just naked : ) The other chickens will make fun of it...haha. Hope this helps...

Leah

Frizzling is the result of a special gene. You need to have a bird that has the curled feathers and breed it to a smooth bird. If there is not one available in the breed you are interested in it can be introduced from any frizzle bird but it takes longer to then perfect the breed back to the standard you are looking for.

You can find Frizzled Rock, Cochin, Polish, Serama, Silkie, Leghorn and many other breeds if you look.

There is mixed opinion as to weather Frizzle is a breed. When showing, you must show your bird as a breed and Frizzle is a variety as I understand it. I have read from Glenda Heywood, president of the Frizzle Club of America, that the Breed is Frizzle and it is judged as such and then has to be judged against the smooth birds of the same type. In the shows I have been to there has not been a category for Frizzled birds and they are just judged with the others of the same type.

BugLadyLeah,
How come ideal says that when you buy frizzleds from them that you might end up with a nonfrizzled?

Just curious. I'm not a frizzle expert.
tongue.png

Quote:
I believe it is because the gene dont hold true so you may only get some frizzles and some not when breeding. The ones that are smooth would still have the frizzle gene and if bred could throw some frizzles.. I think:/ Im not a expert:)

The reason Ideal would advertise that not all the birds will be Frizzled is because two copies of the Frizzle gene ( when both birds are frizzled) is considered a lethal gene. That does not mean that the birds will die but the half of the offspring will be have feathers that a brittle and break easily. Many will not feather completely and the double copy of the gene will often cause organ abnormalities as well. It is much like Pied Birds or Merle Dogs.

The most acceptable way to breed frizzles is to use a smooth bird with a frizzled bird. Mating in this manner will produce approx 50% Frizzled birds. If you breed the smooth birds from this mating back to a frizzle you will get a greater percentage of Frizzles. It is rare that you will get frizzled birds from two smooth birds even thought they both may have the frizzle gene.

Back
Top Bottom