How do you disinfect a pen?

Quote:
I did extensive research about cocci before disinfecting my ground as I didn't want to reinfect a new flock of birds. You can disinfect the ground where cocci has been and yes, cocci does exist naturally in the soil. And while the cocci will reappear in the future, by killing off the old cocci, no doubt a strain my new birds would not have immunity to, I was then protecting the new flock of young birds.
smile.png

Gee, you all sound like scientists!!!,
big_smile.png
I guess ammonia is it, then.
I live on sugar sand, so it's unlikely that anything will grow in the pen anyway.
Mac, you are too funny.
I guess in the old days they used to call it whitewashing, painting the walls with lime for disinfection. Makes sense.

Thanks, that's good to know...but don't you have to be careful about the lime burning the chickens feet? I use it in the coops after I have stripped & sprayed..I have a dirt floor in one of the coops. I then put fresh shavings really thick over the lime.Just for the sake of putting it out there..... I'm sure it known by all, but don't mix the ingredients! LOL:eek:

This topic is also interesting to me, as I may have to disinfect my coop and run area.

What do you do with the chickens while all this disinfecting is taking place?

Can I spray their coop in the morning while they're out foraging and then put them in the coop in the evening and spray their run area (~450 sq ft - argh)?

Is it effective to do the run broken into a few parts, or will the chickens spread disease into the treated parts from the untreated parts before I finish?

I'm concerned about putting lime down where the chickens are going to be foraging? Will it hurt or poison them?

Thanks!

I'm fairly confident that if the chickens walk on the fresh lime it will burn their feet. Please let me know if that is not an accurate statement. I use pulverized lime.

Quote:
It depends. If you get the lime in the garden section, the bag should read "non burning".
I think the lime that burns is the stuff sold in the construction aisle.
Just make sure the bag says "non burning"

Quote:
I get the garden lime, and put it down. It says "non burning" on the bag. You can water it in if you want.
If you spray the coop with disinfectant, you can still put them in at night, just make sure the coop was ventilated all day.

Quote:
It depends. If you get the lime in the garden section, the bag should read "non burning".
I think the lime that burns is the stuff sold in the construction aisle.
Just make sure the bag says "non burning"

I got it in the garden section. Thanks! I'll check the bag:thumbsup

Quote:
That's nothing more than ground limestone. The same as the finer grit in a gravel driveway. It is also sold as "barn lime". It can help to neutralize urine in stalls from horses or cows and helps to create a non-slip surface in areas such milking parlors, but doesn't have much of an effect on poultry litter or in a poultry run. It could help to dry up damp areas, but that's about it. The caustic action of hydrated lime is what makes it useful as a disinfectant.

It will not burn the birds feet if not left caked up on the surface. If you are treating litter, stir it in. If you are treating a concrete floor, cover it with bedding. If you are treating a run, till it in or cover it with bedding.

It is caustic. Something on the order of concrete or mortar mixes that can give you a pretty good burn if you're not cautious. I normally wear a cheap dust mask when spreading it and dry not to get too much on my exposed arms. On a hot, sweaty day I can get mild burn similar to a light sunburn if I don't wash up right away.

Mac,
Even if the lime is covered over with bedding, isn't there still a concern that the chickens will scratch through the bedding and get to the lime? What if they ingest it?

I'd like to use it, I'm just not seeing how I can and then be able to let my chickens forage safely in the area...I don't have another place to put them long-term until the lime works into the ground or becomes non-reactive.
How long does it remain caustic? Can I water it in? I still have grass and plants in there forage area and don't necessarily want to convert to all bedding material.

I could keep them in their 12x6 run for a day or so, but I think that's about it.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom