How do I introduce 2 month old chicks to the older chickens?

Ben a 620

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
I have 4 chicks that just recently turned 2 months old and I want to introduce them to the main flock but don’t know how or if I should. There currently is a 2 1/2 month old chick with the main flock but that’s because it was a broody hen’s adopted chick and had protection until it reached around 2 months so I don’t know if these motherless chicks can be released into the main flock just yet. They are currently in a cage inside of the chicken coop so they’ve been seeing each other for a while and I also let them free range together for a couple hours each day. I do this in an attempt to smoothen their transition into the main flock but I’d like to know if they’re ready, how I should do it, and what I should expect. Also, if the chickens start pecking them do I try and keep them away like a mother hen would do or let them peck the chicks?

I dont introduced new chicks to my free range flock until they are 2/3s the size of the adults (for my brahmas thats 4mos). I do this so that they are large enough to escape and are more resilient during the inevitable squabbling to come.
During that first 4 mos they are kept in an conventional coop & run set up in full view and hearing of the free range birds. I will often sprinkle scratch along the boundary fence so that both groups will feed close together while keeping the pullets safe. By the time they are introduced, the older birds are used to seeing, hearing, and feeding alongside the youngsters and the squabbling is very short lived (usually less than an hour and nothing real serious).
The more safe exposure they can have the better. Using a dog crate with treats inside and out can achieve the same results.

I dont introduced new chicks to my free range flock until they are 2/3s the size of the adults (for my brahmas thats 4mos). I do this so that they are large enough to escape and are more resilient during the inevitable squabbling to come.
During that first 4 mos they are kept in an conventional coop & run set up in full view and hearing of the free range birds. I will often sprinkle scratch along the boundary fence so that both groups will feed close together while keeping the pullets safe. By the time they are introduced, the older birds are used to seeing, hearing, and feeding alongside the youngsters and the squabbling is very short lived (usually less than an hour and nothing real serious).
The more safe exposure they can have the better. Using a dog crate with treats inside and out can achieve the same results.
So would you recommend just letting the chickens peck the chicks to establish the new pecking order?

So would you recommend just letting the chickens peck the chicks to establish the new pecking order?
Yep. Its natural and usually sounds way worse than it really is. Adult birds are capable of inflicting injuries to much smaller birds. So if the chicks are big enough, there is plenty of room for escape and evading, and there is prior "safe encounters" with fencing between them, let them out together.

Fully expect the older larger birds to chase the younger ones or peck a little but it rarely results in serious injury.

Another thing to consider is to make sure there is plenty of food and water to go around. Plentiful resources results in less competition or perceived threat to resources.

when you do spread the food out make a few piles a few feet apart if you can. This way the picked ones can sneak in and snatch a bite too while the main bevvy hangs out at the main feeding pile. I have one who is still a bit shy to go with the rest of them and they chase her every time she tries so a few piles lets her get fed too. Id leave tthe food out and she just gets to it when she does but they are such gluttons they'll scarf it all up and leave none for her. I want them to do some running around and foraging so this seems to work to get them working and all fed some.

Aaron

I have 4 chicks that just recently turned 2 months old and I want to introduce them to the main flock but don’t know how or if I should. There currently is a 2 1/2 month old chick with the main flock but that’s because it was a broody hen’s adopted chick and had protection until it reached around 2 months so I don’t know if these motherless chicks can be released into the main flock just yet. They are currently in a cage inside of the chicken coop so they’ve been seeing each other for a while and I also let them free range together for a couple hours each day. I do this in an attempt to smoothen their transition into the main flock but I’d like to know if they’re ready, how I should do it, and what I should expect. Also, if the chickens start pecking them do I try and keep them away like a mother hen would do or let them peck the chicks?
This is what I did
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/change-of-plans.1454019/

Also @aart and @3KillerBs can give you some great insight and good reads

Size is an important consideration when putting them together. You want them to be about equal in size so they can fend off the picking. I have found that littler ones get picked on a LOT and if you have an old bitchy one in the bunch they can terrorize the poor little things. Keeping them where they can see each other but not get at each other helps get them used to each other. If there is plenty of room for them to run off to to escape, ie they are free ranging in a yard or something, then yes you can probably let them together for times, but if they are penned in and there is not a lot of hiding or get out of the way space, then yep, it can be trouble. One thing I have also done i the past is I have one real bitch, I have actually put HER in a separate cage for a week or more, while the new one(s) and the nicer existing flock got together, worked out their 'isues' and finally decided to play nice. Then finally let the old buzzard back out and then she's kind of a new one, and was picking on the new one way less then. She still set her dominance but this way, the new one is only getting ragged on by one of them, instead of the whole flock beating up on her.

Aaron

Size is an important consideration when putting them together. You want them to be about equal in size so they can fend off the picking. I have found that littler ones get picked on a LOT and if you have an old bitchy one in the bunch they can terrorize the poor little things. Keeping them where they can see each other but not get at each other helps get them used to each other. If there is plenty of room for them to run off to to escape, ie they are free ranging in a yard or something, then yes you can probably let them together for times, but if they are penned in and there is not a lot of hiding or get out of the way space, then yep, it can be trouble. One thing I have also done i the past is I have one real bitch, I have actually put HER in a separate cage for a week or more, while the new one(s) and the nicer existing flock got together, worked out their 'isues' and finally decided to play nice. Then finally let the old buzzard back out and then she's kind of a new one, and was picking on the new one way less then. She still set her dominance but this way, the new one is only getting ragged on by one of them, instead of the whole flock beating up on her.

Aaron
In that case I’ll have to wait until 3-4 months right?

Back
Top Bottom