How bad is it to only have 2 chickens?

SpotTheCat

Herding cats
Jan 19, 2021
UK
I got 7 chicks only 2 of them turned out to be pullets, my plan was to have 3 pullets wait a year or so then maybe add about 3 more. Should I add more sooner?

also if I get more from the same place I got the chicks do I need to quarantine them?

Since they’re both young it should be fine. The reason you get more then 2 is because if one dies the other one won’t be lonely. You need to quarantine any chicken your adding to your flock.
Thank you! I don’t really have space to quarantine them properly for a month :hmm

Two chicks will be fine. As @Chookchicken said, the usual reason for having three is insurance against losing one.

Quarantine is always a good idea to prevent disease spread. I used to brood chicks in my garage, but in recent years, have simply bought a large plastic tote, topped it with an old window screen and raised them in the house until they are feathered enough to go outside.

I am less concerned about quarantine when I pick up chicks directly from the feed store where they've just arrived from the hatchery. But, I still wouldn't put them in with other birds right away.

If you are adding chicks now, a big tote would be a fairly cheap alternative; tiny chicks don't need a lot of room, and you don't want the older babies picking on the youngsters anyway.

Sorry so many of your babies were boys; better luck with your next chicks!

Two chicks will be fine. As @Chookchicken said, the usual reason for having three is insurance against losing one.

Quarantine is always a good idea to prevent disease spread. I used to brood chicks in my garage, but in recent years, have simply bought a large plastic tote, topped it with an old window screen and raised them in the house until they are feathered enough to go outside.

I am less concerned about quarantine when I pick up chicks directly from the feed store where they've just arrived from the hatchery. But, I still wouldn't put them in with other birds right away.

If you are adding chicks now, a big tote would be a fairly cheap alternative; tiny chicks don't need a lot of room, and you don't want the older babies picking on the youngsters anyway.

Sorry so many of your babies were boys; better luck with your next chicks!
Thank you!
I have space to brood chicks but I would be getting older pullets 10 week at the youngest probably. Also we don’t have chicks at feed stores so I would be getting them from a breeder, same breeder I got these chicks from which was why I was wondering if they need as long or any quarantine

I almost always get chicks, but when I've gotten adult birds, I've quarantined in a large dog crate that can be moved in and out of the garage. Three of those birds came from a good friend who I know maintains a healthy flock, but you never know.

I always get my runner ducks from the same breeder and, although I know I shouldn't, I have thrown them in with my ducks, without quarantine. But, it's risky and I'm lucky it's always gone well.

if I get more from the same place I got the chicks do I need to quarantine them?

Whether you "need" to quarantine them is really up to you.

The reason to quarantine new chickens is to check whether they have diseases or parasites that could pass to your current chickens. It's easier to treat a few new chickens than to treat the new chickens plus your current flock.

Quarantine is especially useful if you have many current chickens, and are willing to treat and potentially euthanize any new chickens that have problems. If you only have a two current chickens, and are not willing to euthanize diseased newcomers, then I don't think you'll get much benefit from quarantining the new ones. Treating new chickens, or treating new chickens + 2, doesn't make a big difference.

So yes, quarantine might be a good idea-- but it may not be worth the bother in this particular case.

I would be getting older pullets 10 week at the youngest probably.... I would be getting them from a breeder, same breeder I got these chicks from which was why I was wondering if they need as long or any quarantine

I do think that getting new birds from the same source makes a difference. They are less likely to bring in new problems. If they carry diseases or parasites, your other chickens might already have those same diseases or parasites.

In this particular case, I would probably check the new ones all over to be sure they seem healthy-- preferably before bringing them home, and again after getting home. I would probably keep the new ones in a separate cage for a day or two and then check them over again, and then introduce them to the current two. This would help you find some of the most obvious problems, while being much faster and easier than a proper quarantine.

Whether you "need" to quarantine them is really up to you.

The reason to quarantine new chickens is to check whether they have diseases or parasites that could pass to your current chickens. It's easier to treat a few new chickens than to treat the new chickens plus your current flock.

Quarantine is especially useful if you have many current chickens, and are willing to treat and potentially euthanize any new chickens that have problems. If you only have a two current chickens, and are not willing to euthanize diseased newcomers, then I don't think you'll get much benefit from quarantining the new ones. Treating new chickens, or treating new chickens + 2, doesn't make a big difference.

So yes, quarantine might be a good idea-- but it may not be worth the bother in this particular case.

I do think that getting new birds from the same source makes a difference. They are less likely to bring in new problems. If they carry diseases or parasites, your other chickens might already have those same diseases or parasites.

In this particular case, I would probably check the new ones all over to be sure they seem healthy-- preferably before bringing them home, and again after getting home. I would probably keep the new ones in a separate cage for a day or two and then check them over again, and then introduce them to the current two. This would help you find some of the most obvious problems, while being much faster and easier than a proper quarantine.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom