Houdans

I am located on Northeast PA. 

Yes it is too bad more people don't raise them as they do need a lot of work but the few really good ones I've seen so far are just beautiful.  Being that there are some people that do have some good ones I don't think it would be that hard to get them back to the quality that they once were.  We just need some more very dedicated people that are willing to work on them and cull very hard and eat lots of chicken meat..LOL

Welcome to BYC.:frow

Thank you for the welcome! Duane Urch just called me this morning and my Houdan chicks are on their way !!!!!! I can't wait till they get here. I've really been looking forward to getting the Houdans from him.

I am excited for you!

My Houdy girl is broody so I gave her some eggs. We'll see how they do. They are a mix and possibly one of hers but I don't have a Houdan roo so it will be a mix.

She is a sweetie, to me, kinda bossy to the other chickens. We'll see how she does as a mama.

Thank you for the welcome! Duane Urch just called me this morning and my Houdan chicks are on their way !!!!!! I can't wait till they get here. I've really been looking forward to getting the Houdans from him.
Yay! I spoke to Mr Urch yesterday mine aren't coming yet but either the 4th or the 18th they will be on their way. Hoping I will have a broody for them but if I don't then that's OK too.

Enjoy your babies when they arrive!

I finally got my houdan chicks from Duane Urch. I didnt get them till Wed and they were very badly stressed and cold. One had died in the box, one died a couple hrs later and one died during last night but this morning the rest are looking better. They are very nice looking chicks as you can already see the muffs and beards on them and the 5th toe on them is exceptionally good, far better than the ones I have. Can't wait to see how they turn out size and color wise.

I had 4 of my own chicks hatch out last week and only 1 had any hint of a 5th toe and it looked more like a wart on the 4th toe than a fifth toe.LOL. Oh well I have 7 more in the incubator so will see what I get this time around. I'll be hatching them out throughout the spring and summer and as long as they will keep laying so I can get as many as I can so I can pick out a few that may be decent enough to keep. I hope my 8 yr old girl lays a few so I can hatch out some of hers also. If nothing else it will add hardiness and longevity to the line.

Great to hear you are getting some from Mr Urch also. I hope you plan on raising and breeding them! The more people that start raising them and breeding them to the standard the better.

Puddinfluff I hope your Houdan girl turns out to be a good mother and hatches some chicks. You should get yourself a houdan roo so you can raise some purebreds and help improve the breed.

I had a female several years back that used to come in the house. Actually she was raised in the house when a chick as the other chicks were beating on her.
She had a box that she ate and slept in by the fireplace up on a bucket when she was younger then when she got older she would go outside during the day but when she wanted to go back in she would stand by the door and look and sqwauk at me until I let her in then she would stand by her box and ask to be put in it so she could eat and go to sleep. She would stay in over night and in the morning she would go over by the front door and ask to go back out again

Non of my cats or dogs would touch her as she would peck at the dogs feet as they went by her so they pretty much ingored her and if the cats even so much as tried to swat her she would turn around and run after them and try to attack them. So the kitties tried to avoid her by all means also hehe. She was quite the personality and lived up to her name "Silly Lillie".

Unfortunately her becoming broody was her undoing as she had disappeared one day and I couldn't find her and was looking for her for almost a week when I almost walked on top of a pile of eggs over next to my property line where she had made her nest. She was no wheres to be seen so I suspect a fox or some critter got her one night on the nest. If I could have found her when she had started setting I would have took her and the eggs and put her somewhere to see if she would have set long enough to hatch and raise them.

Oh well maybe one day I will have a house chicken again!

I wish I had the time and set up to do some breeding but currently that is not an option. We run a mixed flock, which I really enjoy since I have a hard time picking favorites. I will have to say the roos we did have were bi-polar. They would attack you one minute then want to sit in your lap the next. Interesting breed. That's one reason I keep on the thread, just to keep it rolling.

Keep us posted on chick progress. Especially when they get to the Mohawk stage. I love that teenage look.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom