hot weather. is heat lamp necessary?

elephantapple

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 28, 2013
we just picked up our baby chicks from the post office yesterday morning. we are keeping them in our sunroom which varies a few degrees from the weather outside. we live in vancouver, wa and the weather here has been high 90’s with a low of 60° at night.

now i know to keep the heat lamp on for them at night, but what about during the day? when the heat lamp is off, even when it’s warm, they’re all huddled together, which i read means that they’re either too hot or too cold. but when i have it on, they look very cozy, and mostly spread out from each other (still under the lamp).

my husband told me to turn it off so i don’t cook them. but i’d really like some input.

Attachments

• 4CC369E1-FEBC-43AA-AB87-083542D20290.jpeg
    4CC369E1-FEBC-43AA-AB87-083542D20290.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 51
  • F08D912F-F9E9-43CF-84EC-9A31E4814B11.jpeg
    F08D912F-F9E9-43CF-84EC-9A31E4814B11.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 18
So I think you should keep the heat lamp on , until they are about 1 week old to 2 weeks old before you do that .
Just have the lamp on , and make sure your chicks have space to get away from the heat lamp and run around, and also have enough space yo enjoy the heat lamp if needed. So you need to also make sure you have the heat lamp on at night for sure. But if it is supper hot when they are 2+ weeks they would be fine during the day, just have heat lamp on at night. Just make sure there is space for the chicks to escape the heat and also enjoy the heat.

For the first 1-2 days they will be huddled regardless of temperature because they feel safer together and are terrified being new to the world, being shipped and the new environment. Your husband is correct if it is over 90 those chicks are cooking with a heat lamp even if they are only a couple days. I brood my chicks out in the barn and if it is 90+ during the day I do not turn on any heat for them.

I would keep a lamp on them where they can move away if too hot. 90 is not 90 in the shade.

I just got chicks yesterday. They are in a garage, with a lamp, even though it is hot. But they can move away from the heat if needed.

we just picked up our baby chicks from the post office yesterday morning. we are keeping them in our sunroom which varies a few degrees from the weather outside. we live in vancouver, wa and the weather here has been high 90’s with a low of 60° at night.

now i know to keep the heat lamp on for them at night, but what about during the day? when the heat lamp is off, even when it’s warm, they’re all huddled together, which i read means that they’re either too hot or too cold. but when i have it on, they look very cozy, and mostly spread out from each other (still under the lamp).

my husband told me to turn it off so i don’t cook them. but i’d really like some input.
I live on the golf coast and it’s similar in temperature during the day. I take it day by day, checking the highs for each day. If they’re huddled turn it on and if they’re breathing with their beaks open turn it off. If you miss it by a little up or down it’s OK.

I can assure you that I would not have added heat on day old chicks at my house today.

Where about in the world are you located?
i live in vancouver, washington, usa.

is it hot where you are too? is that why you wouldn’t add heat to your day old chicks?

Back
Top Bottom