HorseGirlAbby's flock thread!

And now, another update, if I don't get interrupted by my Mom telling me to get off the computer. :oops:
The chickens got new shavings last week, which they love! They promptly started to eat them and scratch them out the door. The six inches is now compacted to about three, which is barely enough. The heavy hens make a loud thump every time they land on the floor, which isn't good for their feet. I should probably put more shavings in there.

I had a big scare with Delaware on Tuesday. I went in there in the morning, and her comb was covered in blood!! I blame Gidget and Mr. Beard. They're mean to her and chase her around a lot. Anyway, I cleaned it off as best I could, and put her back in the coop. When I went out later, the scabs had all come off and she was bleeding again, even worse. I decided to separate her, and put her in the entryway, which I use as kind of a sickroom. She was a lot happier in there! I put her on the roost with them in the evening, as she'd climbed over everything trying to get on it. She really made a mess, knocking over her water bowl and the scratch container. The next morning, back in she went, because her wing was bleeding this time! Man, those chickens are ruthless. I had to put her back in the coop to lay her egg, every day of the week. She may be four, but she still pumps them out regularly! She is now mostly back in the coop, though she's taken to hiding in the nesting boxes again.

Nothing much else to report! We're getting 6 to 10 eggs a day from 15 hens, 13 of which are laying. I don't think Gidget will ever lay another egg, and I'm kind of getting worried about Nancy, the other one who isn't laying. She hasn't laid for an entire year, and I think she's laying internally. She's still happily running around, eating scratch, and can get on the roost at night, so she'll be with us for a while yet, hopefully!

Surprisingly, all of the other five-year-olds are all laying! Peeper and Baroness are going to go broody soon, though. Baroness is screaming at everything, and Peeper's starting to make her broody cluck. We're not planning on hatching any more eggs this year; the rooster fiasco was enough for a while.

Back
Top Bottom