Homemade chick starter

Your situation is very understandable. I'm sorry I misunderstood your motivation.
25# bags are usually more expensive per lb.. In reality, there is no reason they can't order more feed and larger bags considering there are other customers and you will eventually need up to 500# a month or more. Their price will go down and so will yours.

In a pinch, you could add some grains eventually, ferment the feed and add some fishmeal and provide a supplement like Nutri-Drench in the water.
The feed store told me they don't have the room to order more. I'm going to talk to them again and see if they can order 50lb bags and I would pick it up the same day the truck comes. I hope they will because as long as I'm picking it up they wouldn't need room to put it. :fl

Would they special order extra chick starter for you? Knowing it was already sold I can't see why they wouldn't special order it.

Maybe you should contact others in you area and make a trip to a larger store and get enough feed for all of you. If you all split the cost of the fuel and trip it'd be cheep. This may also put pressure on your local feed store to get larger bags or to keep more on hand if they start missing sales.

I'm going by there tomorrow so I'm going to push really hard to make it happen.
Go to www.fertrell.com They have formulas for various ages of chickens and they do have a chick starter formula. You would have to buy their supplements to put in the formulas but it makes a very good quality feed. If you have a feed mill that can make up feeds you can just get the supplements and give them the chick starter recipe and the supplements and they should be able to make it up for you.....

I’m thinking if there’s no animal feed to be had in the OP’s area, then there are probably no feed mills in the area either. So you would need to drive a long way to buy the grains to make your own feed anyway.

If your planning to keep 100 birds fed, I would skip the much more expensive 25 pound bags and buy a pallet of 50 pound bags from the feed store further away.

Or you can even have the pallet delivered possibly.

I’m thinking if there’s no animal feed to be had in the OP’s area, then there are probably no feed mills in the area either. So you would need to drive a long way to buy the grains to make your own feed anyway.

If your planning to keep 100 birds fed, I would skip the much more expensive 25 pound bags and buy a pallet of 50 pound bags from the feed store further away.

Or you can even have the pallet delivered possibly.
I agree. Delivery would be the way to go.
If the OP can link up with a couple more people who own livestock, create a co-op and look into ADMC. They are a livestock feed distribution company and if you order $500 of feed at a time, they'll deliver. They carry every kind of feed, grains, legumes and supplements you can imagine.

In that situation, I'd be ordering a pallet drop shipped. Tractor Supply delivers feed like that now. Some other feed brands will also ship you a pallet.

100 chicks are gonna eat a fair bit, I think I used to go through about three bags of starter with my batches of around 15 chicks? I'd get a full pallet and see if anyone wants to buy some from you, you can advertise on FB.

Back
Top Bottom