HOLD THE PRESSES: Duane Urch is Done?!/Future of American Purebred Poultry

I dunno, I'm not going to indulge that conversation here in a forum specifically designated to encourage keeping chickens as a sort of backyard companion. It doesn't seem to be what this diatribe is addressing one way or another. I know for a FACT that some casual "pet" chicken keepers get introduced to the fancy via this culture, and a few of those become serious poultry keepers and breeders.

There is no better place to have the conversation than a website dedicated to backyard chicken keeping.

By the way, you did "indulge that conversation" by taking part in the discussion and arguing against the point made.

If one person makes a point, another person, like yourself, is free to disagree. I appreciate your point of view. Another person is also free to say the person who wrote the article either did not think about, or does not know, that chickens are becoming seen as pets rather than livestock by some people and that can hurt those who breed chickens.

There can be some middle ground, as was mentioned with rabbits, that are often seen as pets by some and food by others. I think that chicken keeping is much more widespread. At least it seems to me.

I see ads online for people offering chickens for sale or for free that say the chickens can only be had by those who promise not to kill and eat the chickens. It is a growing issue.

Last edited:
I think it is fine as part of the conversation and I think it is relevant but then again your original post was so long winded, boring and not exactly clear what the discussion was to be about.
I took it as the decline in poultry breeding to conserve breeds. But then again I'm a hillbilly and I like things simple and that post wasn't simple to follow the point of exactly.
So what exactly do you want this discussion to be about and stick to?

Hmm, I don't know who the guy is that retired. Who ever wrote the post that you shared was obviously very enthusiastic about not losing history. But I guess my point of view is I'm going to breed my birds how I see fit. I'm doing what I can. But there's really only so much I can do. There's limitations on every one for what they're able to accomplish. Yes that means that some breeds will be lost. I'm not going to choose a breed myself just to preserve some kind of supposed history. I'm going to choose a breed that I love, and want to work with.

Hmm, I don't know who the guy is that retired. Who ever wrote the post that you shared was obviously very enthusiastic about not losing history. But I guess my point of view is I'm going to breed my birds how I see fit. I'm doing what I can. But there's really only so much I can do. There's limitations on every one for what they're able to accomplish. Yes that means that some breeds will be lost. I'm not going to choose a breed myself just to preserve some kind of supposed history. I'm going to choose a breed that I love, and want to work with.
That is exactly how I feel.
I care not that my breed of choice is not "historically important", I'm still going to breed it because I like them so I will.

The guy who wrote the article said anyone can breed whatever chickens they like.

He discussed breeding Anconas. To me, they are not that important. I guess to him they are important.

But I appreciate his point in trying to encourage people to seriously breed historically significant chicken breeds, such as the Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Leghorn, Speckled Susses, Wyandotte, etc. It is not supposed history, by the way. Everyone would agree that breeds like Rhode Island Red and Leghorn are some of the most important chicken breeds in history. They are worth saving.

@The Moonshiner you're right. I didn't anticipate it taking this turn. To me the general subject matter was rather obvious, I didn't see it going off on a tangent about people that kept chickens as pets since it was about BREEDING AND SHOWING APA POULTRY.

I tried to edit the original post but couldn't. So, here's hoping we can get back on track over here in the Exhibition, Genetics, and Breeding to the SOP forum.

What are we as a collective group of serious poultry enthusiasts going to do to encourage the survival of key breeds with waning popularity?

The guy who wrote the article said anyone can breed whatever chickens they like.

He discussed breeding Anconas. To me, they are not that important. I guess to him they are important.

But I appreciate his point in trying to encourage people to seriously breed historically significant chicken breeds, such as the Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Leghorn, Speckled Susses, Wyandotte, etc. It is not supposed history, by the way. Everyone would agree that breeds like Rhode Island Red and Leghorn are some of the most important chicken breeds in history. They are worth saving.
I have a couple RIR, and a speckled sussex, by chance. I prefer and am intending to breed Barred rocks, but getting a quality BR is next to impossible here. I guess what I mean is, the history doesn't matter to me. So I'm not going to breed a specific chicken only because of their historical significance. That doesn't mean that I'm not willing to put in the effort to breed them, or that I'd avoid chicken breeds with history. I just want to have birds that I adore for their personalities and breed them to bring out the traits that I like so that maybe others can love the breed too.

Duane Urch at Turnland Poultry was an APA judge that ran more or less a hatchery dedicated to standardbred birds. He was the only real go-to resource outside of commercial hatcheries for several breeds, including my beloved Houdans, and was a popular go-to for 4-H kids and others seeking quality birds to show or breed. Losing that resource has been a big blow to a number of breeds and varieties which now may be left with NO dedicated and knowledgeable breeders that can be counted on to maintain flocks and hatch numbers and select breeders with the SOP in mind.

Back
Top Bottom