Hmmm...this isn't what I ordered!

Chicky-dees

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
My February order of chickens is doing GREAT. But there seems to be a pair of funny looking birds in the bunch. When they were chicks, they looked like Ameraucana chicks but as they began to grow to a juvenile age, they became totally different birds and are not anything like my current Ameraucana hens. So are they or are they not Ameraucana hens?

This first picture is an Ameraucana that I currently own that matches the breed standard.

The next two pictures are the two Ameraucanas that I ordered and they look nothing alike.

Second Photo: The 'game bird' (skinny hen) has no comb and has bright yellow legs and almost reminds me of a roadrunner from the way she runs about with an upright stature.

Third Photo: A pretty bird with a big white chest (she is very heavy and fluffy), lots of comb and her legs are almost solid white!

Any thoughts or ideas? Talk about a surprise. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. Let me know what you think they might be.

Hmmm...this isn't what I ordered!

AThe first picture is an Easter egger, which is a mixed breed that lays green eggs. Sorry.:(

Here's my Easter egger....
freerange011.jpg

Not sure what the 2nd one is, but the bottom one is a speckled Sussex hen.

Edit to add... Your SS could be a boy too due to the short tail. Sorry.:(

Here's my speckled Sussex around that age
cookie025.jpg

Last edited:
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!

I too, thought that the skinny bird must be some sort of game bird or cornish type cross. And I agree that the speckled bird is a sussex! I just needed someone to agree with me. The confusing part was that he was marked as an Ameraucana along with the skinny bird.

I had actually ordered a SS roo so the bird above must be him altho now I have a bird that was marked as my SS roo and he is different.

Overall, I guess I didn't get any Ameraucanas - that seems to be the ONLY thing that is accurate in this case. But this is fun - and I don't mind...

I still wonder what the skinny bird is - time will tell - ?
smile.png

Your skinny bird looks like a Malay or an Aseel. I have a hard time telling the two apart. Ideal carries them both.

ETA: After looking again, I'm thinking it's a Dark Aseel. And maybe a pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom