High coop entrance that raccoons and rodents can't climb

Build this type of run. It has a good fence like that power transformer station.

0411001948a.jpg

Add electric fence, 0.2 Joule pulse charger. No worries about shorts or fires, just keep the weeds trimmed and it will work. We had a raccoon Tuesday night swing by, no entry. Came back again last night, no entry. Wire and electric fence stopped him cold, based on the trail cam photos.

....or build a concrete wall and coat it with axle grease.

Last edited:
Quote:
I really don't recommend relying on electric fence as your main or total predatorproofing. ALL electric fencing fails SOMETIMES, for a variety of reasons, and predators can be pretty quick to pick up on it.

It is good as the "cherry on top" of an otherwise-strong PHYSICAL fence, though.

Pat

Dogfish, that is a fine run there but I'm going to make something portable. The chickens'/muscovies' job is to turn "weeds" into eggs, meat, and fertilizer.

Quote:

WHEN YOU QUOTE SOMEONE MAKE SURE IT IS THEIR QUOTE!!!! I DID NOT SAY THAT ! I ONLY AGREED WITH IT! I am all for looking for more information!! But after research and interviewing others for more info we just have to DO IT!! I think your idea is interesting...but we all want to see how it works because it seems no one else has done it!

Sorry about the misquote.

I can't believe it hasn't been done if it's a good idea. It will probably take me six months to build my portable coop with none of these experimental ideas, at the rate I am going. Right now all I need to do is fortify the garage so I can put the chickens in the temporary coop I built in there.

Thanks to Pat, Boosroo, schellie69, Katy, and everyone who helped me to decide what to do with my sheet metal scraps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom