Hi I a new here and need some advice on hatching chicks.

Newtoraisingchicks

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? We purchased 8 chicks from Rural King 11 months ago. Added a rooster about 5 months ago and we are currently hatching our first set of chicks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Sadly we have lost a couple of our hens to racoons, one to fly strike, and a couple have been hit by cars. We live on a rural but high speed country road and our chickens free range. We only have 2 of our original hens: Flappy Jackie and Mr. Chicken, and our rooster, King Floof. We have a chick that was born 3-4 days ago named Bebony, a chick born yesterday named Pip, and another just hatched about an hour ago and has not yet been named. We also have 9 more eggs currently in our incubator that we are hoping to hatch soon.

(3) What breeds do you have? Mr. Chicken is a white orpington, I'm not sure what breed Flappy Jackie is, or King Floof.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Taking care of them and having them run up and greet us when we come home. Chicks are especially fun! We've enjoyed the whole incubating and hatching process.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, canning produce, hiking, traveling, spending time with my husband and kids.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I live with my husband and 2 kids, with 3 older kids who have grown up and left home. We have a miniature poodle named Cookie and 3 hamsters.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found this group through google. I have googled many questions in the process of hatching chicks!

Welcome I see that the chicks you hatched are all different ages. In the future you might consider gathering the eggs and storing them until you have a larger group of eggs similar to a hen collecting a clutch in her nest before setting. That way chicks have flock mates the same age and it makes the humidity needs of the eggs in the incubator the same.

Back
Top Bottom