Hey Y'all!

UrbanHomesteadTX

Songster
Mar 6, 2024
North Texas
I'm excited to join this community! I've been using this website for quite a while now for information and inspiration, I'm happy to know y'all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Definitely not completely new to Chickens, but it has been a long time since I was a kid helpin mama with our little flock. We brought four chicks into our home last year to raise for eggs.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
At the moment, 3 adult hens, one rooster (eloquently named Bastard for his nasty temperament), 11 pullets, and 24 chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We have White and Brown Leghorns. I absolutely love the massive eggs they produce daily!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They've become such a great resource for our home! The eggs are fantastic, they love our leftovers and we rarely have to waste food, and it's so much fun raising and hatching the chicks!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Oh, too many to count! I'm a craftsman who loves to stick her hands into almost any creative or constructive projects. I work with leather crafting, sewing, drawing, and photography mainly. I create costumes, care for my chickens, and have found a hobby in homesteading. We've started turning our little house just outside the city into a more self-sustaining property, and I'm loving every minute of it! (Even if it does involve building fencing and coops in 100 degree weather.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My Ma and I are good ol Texas gals! Our heritage and history is in the land, even when we're away from it. I'm a Conservation Feild Technician, I'm that person who's fixing trails, habitat, and historic sites, as well as occasionally setting a prescribed fire or two. My summers are typically spent up north hiding away from civilization in the mountains. However, with my Ma's recent health complications, I've decided it's time to stay home and settle back down, taking up work locally and turning our home into a project we can both enjoy doing. Now, the chicken obsession has begun and my neighbors will never forgive me :,D

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I discovered BYC while doing research for my flock! Just about every topic or question I look up on google has a link to a thread here! I look through some of the threads for answers to my questions as well as inspiration for things to do with my flock! Now that my flock has grown considerably in the last few months, I thought it would be fun to join this community!

Pictures!!!

20240306_083522.jpg
20240306_083414.jpg
20240111_113717.jpg
20240304_182007.jpg
20240301_122807.jpg

Back
Top Bottom