Hey guys I’m new & Need some help !!

browndedra0816

In the Brooder
May 20, 2024
I currently have 12 3 month old chickens, and 12 2 month old chickens. I’ve had them separated in different coops side by side for about a month, & finally let the baby chicks in the big coop with the big girls, I’m not seeing any serious pecking, or them keeping the babies from food & water, there are two feeders & waterers, & just what looks to be like a peck here & there to establish a new pecking order, They did fine last night together, & I spent about an hour out there today to see if anyone was getting picked on more than someone else, everything seems ok. I’m nervous though because I have to leave for a day & will be back tomorrow afternoon, the coop is 12’ 30’ & they have plenty of room to stay away from each other. Should I be worried? I just don’t want any deaths while I’m gone. Thanks

I currently have 12 3 month old chickens, and 12 2 month old chickens. I’ve had them separated in different coops side by side for about a month, & finally let the baby chicks in the big coop with the big girls, I’m not seeing any serious pecking, or them keeping the babies from food & water, there are two feeders & waterers, & just what looks to be like a peck here & there to establish a new pecking order, They did fine last night together, & I spent about an hour out there today to see if anyone was getting picked on more than someone else, everything seems ok. I’m nervous though because I have to leave for a day & will be back tomorrow afternoon, the coop is 12’ 30’ & they have plenty of room to stay away from each other. Should I be worried? I just don’t want any deaths while I’m gone. Thanks
If no serious squabbles to this point. They are likely OK. I wouldn't expect anything at such a young age. Personally, I would have kept them together after the first week. Why not, they were eating the same thing and if you intended for them to be a flock, they needed to become acquainted sooner than later. These flock dynamics take shape from an early age.
Plenty of room is the key at this point, even an obstacle here or there so they can avoid each other if they want.
"Should I be worried?"
My advice is to never worry till you have something to worry about. It makes chicken keeping more pleasurable.

Thanks so much! I wish I would have known that When they were a little younger. I’ve had two of my oldest die two days in a row a few weeks ago, came to the conclusion they could have smothered each other in their sleep, or got ate up by ants in their sleep, because they were covered with them by morning, with no injuries just eaten by ants on their neck/face, at that time they didn’t roost just slept on the wood chips, now I’ve learned to teach them to start roosting at night, put food grade DE down, more bedding, & no more issues so far, but my younger chickens are trying to sleep in the floor now, but I have plenty of obstacles for them to stay away from each other, separate food etc. also put them half a cabbage out there to mess with today, so you think they’ll be good until I can let them out tomorrow afternoon? Again, thanks so much! I’m learning!

Back
Top Bottom