Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

thumbsup.gif

I stole the PVC hoop coop idea from my breeding partner, @Zanna , and the T-Post coop idea I stole from @Blooie , who has a very lovely neighborhood-friendly version as a run for her cute coop.

Congratulations to Ms. Consol, Ms. Joyce, Mr. Leonard and Mr. Anderson for the high-quality article on Delawares in Backyard Poultry. (I read it yesterday.)
Angela

Ok...I will likely never own a Delaware (getting long in the tooth) and already too many irons in the fire but I'm interested in seeing what's going on........ so, could someone provide a link?

Thank you so kindly...

Ron

Last edited:
I think you need a subscription to read the article online. It's a really nice article on the hitory of the breed, and features few of us working with the "Kathy's Line" Delawares. A couple of last year's cockerels from my flock are the big illustration at the top of the article, and some photos of Kim's are in show cages with their ribbons! Walt Leonard is quoted as saying some very nice things about Kim's birds. I was clearly babbling during my phone interview.

A dear friend (Apdeb from CT) came to my house yesterday and helped me choose the best Silver Campine pullets from my flock. We pulled 19 from the temporary grow out coop and moved them to the breeder coop. There are at least 20 more that didn't make the first cut. They will remain in the grow out coop until they mature to see what they do, but I will sell some if anyone wants them.

We also "ranked" them into three groups by quality. She will be taking the number two group and a top pick from the number one group to my breeding partner in Massachusetts along with three nice cockerels. I'm also sending her two bantams, seven Ameraucana chicks, a young Campine cockerel, and maybe one more surprise.
big_smile.png

After that, we had lunch and did some sightseeing, came back to veg on the couch a while, then went out for supper. It was great fun to have a chicken friend actually here to talk to. Don't get me wrong, I love all my cyber-chicken friends, but you all can't walk out to the coops with me. There are no knowlegeable large fowl chicken people around me at all. Oh, there are people who thing they know chickens, but they are not show/standard people. Well.......there's one..........but he's just strange.

A dear friend (Apdeb from CT) came to my house yesterday and helped me choose the best Silver Campine pullets from my flock. We pulled 19 from the temporary grow out coop and moved them to the breeder coop. There are at least 20 more that didn't make the first cut. They will remain in the grow out coop until they mature to see what they do, but I will sell some if anyone wants them.

We also "ranked" them into three groups by quality. She will be taking the number two group and a top pick from the number one group to my breeding partner in Massachusetts along with three nice cockerels. I'm also sending her two bantams, seven Ameraucana chicks, a young Campine cockerel, and maybe one more surprise.
big_smile.png

After that, we had lunch and did some sightseeing, came back to veg on the couch a while, then went out for supper. It was great fun to have a chicken friend actually here to talk to. Don't get me wrong, I love all my cyber-chicken friends, but you all can't walk out to the coops with me. There are no knowlegeable large fowl chicken people around me at all. Oh, there are people who thing they know chickens, but they are not show/standard people. Well.......there's one..........but he's just strange.

Glad you had a great time! It sounds like you are pretty well advanced in your program to have so many youngsters to select from. When it's all said and done, I will be lucky to have two cockerels of each of my 4 breeds and perhaps three or four pullets (or hens) to use. others will be REMOVED from my breeding program. If I can make the selections by 6 months of age, I still might sexually alter them...unsure at this time.

Good luck with your program

RON

I think you need a subscription to read the article online. It's a really nice article on the hitory of the breed, and features few of us working with the "Kathy's Line" Delawares. A couple of last year's cockerels from my flock are the big illustration at the top of the article, and some photos of Kim's are in show cages with their ribbons! Walt Leonard is quoted as saying some very nice things about Kim's birds. I was clearly babbling during my phone interview.

I will have to read that to see what I said........lol

Walt

I will have to read that to see what I said........lol

Walt

gig.gif
It's always nice to have a place to check for that.
wink.png

Here is a link to the article. http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/delaware-chickens/ You need an online subscription to read it online. Online subscriptions are free with paper subscriptions, and instructions are there online to explain how to register. Alternatively, and for a bit less, you can order an "online only" subscription.

Congratulations to Ms. Consol, Ms. Joyce, Mr. Leonard and Mr. Anderson for the high-quality article on Delawares in Backyard Poultry. (I read it yesterday.)
Angela

Thank you. One correction ... Eric Kutch was the judge for the American class at the Red Bluff show, not Dave Anderson.

I watched the judging and both judges did have a discussion in front of the cages before the placings.

Judge Anderson judged the English class. I got a reprimand from him for white lobes on my Dorking.
tongue.png

gig.gif
It's always nice to have a place to check for that.
wink.png

Here is a link to the article. http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/delaware-chickens/ You need an online subscription to read it online. Online subscriptions are free with paper subscriptions, and instructions are there online to explain how to register. Alternatively, and for a bit less, you can order an "online only" subscription.

Thanks...I just subscribed.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom