hens sleeping on stick

mrz hen

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2015
Australia/ Melbourne
So i wanted to ask what is the thickness of the stick the chickens sleep on. Because the sticks i have is short in length and my hens all dont fit on the highest level with the rooster so some of my hens are on the bottom level. And they also dont seem comfortable with the stick being only 3cms. should it be thicker? And is it ok they don't all sleep on the same level

So i wanted to ask what is the thickness of the stick the chickens sleep on. Because the sticks i have is short in length and my hens all dont fit on the highest level with the rooster so some of my hens are on the bottom level. And they also dont seem comfortable with the stick being only 3cms. should it be thicker? And is it ok they don't all sleep on the same level

The roost? Yes, a roost should be more than 3 cm thick - especially as your birds are showing you signs of not being comfortable with it. There is no magic number (though some will quote one), but rather a matter of doing what you have started to do in that you can follow the lead of your birds and let them tell you what is comfortable (after all, people read all sorts of books that give you rules about what chickens do/don't like, etc, but the chickens don't read those books and tend to have their own ideas, lol).
Many people use 2x4 pieces of lumber with either the 2" or 4" side "up" for the birds to be in contact with - but birds will also hapilly roost on larger, flat surfaces such as shelves. There are a lot of options, just a matter of deciding which works for you and, more importantly, your birds.

The roost?  Yes, a roost should be more than 3 cm thick - especially as your birds are showing you signs of not being comfortable with it.  There is no magic number (though some will quote one), but rather a matter of doing what you have started to do in that you can follow the lead of your birds and let them tell you what is comfortable (after all, people read all sorts of books that give you rules about what chickens do/don't like, etc, but the chickens don't read those books and tend to have their own ideas, lol). 

Many people use 2x4 pieces of lumber with either the 2" or 4" side "up" for the birds to be in contact with - but birds will also hapilly roost on larger, flat surfaces such as shelves.  There are a lot of options, just a matter of deciding which works for you and, more importantly, your birds.

thank you for your tips.

Grest tips. Just another question do their claws need to rip around the stick to help them hold on. Does that make sense?

That is a question which will garner some very definitively stated opinions in both directions - there is one camp that maintains that the birds "must" be able to grip the roost and another that maintains the birds like flat surfaces that allow them to settle down over their feet (in the winter) to keep them warm. This is where the debate over putting the 2x4 with the narrower or wider side up comes into play. Ultimately, my opinion is that it isn't an either/or thing - it is one of those things that goes back to being whatever you find works best for you and your birds - and you may even find that within your flock you have birds that prefer different things.

I agree with what Ol Grey Mare says. When we built our coops, I used 2x4" lumber for roosts, flat side up. My birds prefer to sleep in the rafters - 2x4" boards, narrow side up. You can also use large branches if you have access to them.

I have found that chickens are not nearly as picky as some posters. I have used old shovel handles, branches and flat boards, some like one, some like the other, none refuse any.

I too, originally had the ladder like roost, with the lower levels and upper levels. In my coop (not saying in yours, but rather saying you should look and measure) The top was too close to the ceiling and the wall. This can cause moisture to accumulate when the weather turns cold, keeps your birds damp and can lead to frost bite.

I took out the top roost, which moved the birds down and away from both the wall and the ceiling. Then I put in more roosts at that level using the original roost as a support, and the new roosts going perpendicular to the original roosts. I left the lower roosts so younger birds can make it up. However none roost at the lower levels.

It is important to have about 12-15 inches ABOVE the birds heads, and for them to be about 12 inches away from the wall. This allows the birds to stay dry, and dry birds are warm birds in the winter.

Mrs K

I agree with what Ol Grey Mare says. When we built our coops, I used 2x4" lumber for roosts, flat side up. My birds prefer to sleep in the rafters - 2x4" boards, narrow side up. You can also use large branches if you have access to them.
That's only because the rafters are higher
wink.png

Just ribbing bobbi-j.

I like 2x4 wide side up, but want their feet covered in our frigid, frigid winters.......
........and my bigger birds had trouble navigating the 2x2 on the nest perch, so I switched those out too.

Last edited:
That's only because the rafters are higher
wink.png

Just ribbing bobbi-j.

tongue.png

Our winters are pretty cold, too, but so far no frozen toes! (You could be right about the preference for the rafters because they're higher, but I'd never admit it!
smile.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom